Question Issues with a Windows 95/98 game on Windows 2000 Pro ?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I wanted to try out an old game called Exhumed on an old PC running Windows 2000 Pro. I realized that compatability issues are possible so I did not get my hopes up.

Following the manual's installation instructions did not work. I click on "install" but it does not recognize that the CD is in the drive, but it clearly is. I went ahead and opened up the CD contents and double clicked on the EX file I believe it was, and the black DOS box opens up and first shows error "Unable to initialize sound card" or something similar. It comes and goes so quickly I cannot remember. I will try to get the info straight when I get home.

Anyway, the game finally seems to start up fine, but no audio at the introduction, (shows pages in a book being turned). The audio returns when it gets to (I am guessing) the main title screen, but the image is completely messed up, and the lines that I am guessing are your options, etc. have no words, but are in fact just solid lines. There is fire in the background and what looks like half of a mouth, but the rest is either gone or messed up.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird

RAM 768MB

GPU: GeForce 7800GS AGP

Two CD ROM drives.

I wouldn't be surprised if Win 2K is the issue. I found that it had issues playing older games. Windows XP was better at older games due to the compatibility feature. However, you might be better off installing either 98SE or ME (I shudder at that OS) for those games.

windows 2000 was pure NT based, whole NT serie before win XP had compatibility issues with 9x apps, even tho win 2k atleast started to make compatibility better, it wasnt perfect
win XP had better compatibility as it combined NT kernel with 9x

as far as compatibility, the thing is win 9x was 16/32 bit (such a hybrid with both 16/32bit drivers running on top of msdos), while NT was fully 32bit