[SOLVED] Issues with Office: text disappears for a second in Word

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I thought I give it a shot.

For a while now, my office installation has been a bit weird, Word especially. When I type letters temporarily disappear, then come back when I'm done typing. My other Office applications don't have this issue, but do have minor visual glitches sometimes. For example, when making graphs in excel, the "Format Plot Area" pane to the right sometimes becomes a black box for a second.

I've tried repairing my office installation, uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling hardware acceleration for excel (word does not give me the option), and updating my gpu drivers. No graphical issues appear in other programs, such as my various Steam games, R Studio, my web browsers, etc.

Windows 10 Home. Version 2004. OS Build 19041.867

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
C: drive being

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and approximately 90% full.

I try to hold my drives to between 70 and 80% full. That is just me....

Open Resource Monitor and adjust the Window to observe disk and memory usage.

Let the system idle for awhile - just watch and do nothing.

Then keeping the windows open do some light browsing while continuing to watch.

Lastly, open Word and work as you normally do still watching Resource Monitor. Do the same in Excel as well.

Take your time. No rush, be consistent and methodical. It may take a few "viewings" to get a sense of what you are seeing and what is happening.

What I believe may be happening is that Word is struggling to move data in and out of...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and full Windows 10 version information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooter might find and fix something.

Next try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and full Windows 10 version information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooter might find and fix something.

Next try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

PSU is 750W, about a year old, in good condition

C drive is almost full, 11.7 GB of space left.

I tried running the troubleshooters about 2 months ago and nothing was wrong. I'll try again after I get off work.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I tried running the troubleshooter for Program Compatibility, but that didn't seem to work. When I tested it, whole sentences disappeared for a second. Also tried the one for my keyboard, but it didn't find any problems.

Just finished using "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Used sfc/scannow, followed by dism, followed by another sfc/scannow. No integrity violations were found with sfc/scannow either time.

I've also just finished updating to Windows 10 Home 19041.928. Problem still seems to persist.

Ralston18

Titan
C: drive being

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and approximately 90% full.

I try to hold my drives to between 70 and 80% full. That is just me....

Open Resource Monitor and adjust the Window to observe disk and memory usage.

Let the system idle for awhile - just watch and do nothing.

Then keeping the windows open do some light browsing while continuing to watch.

Lastly, open Word and work as you normally do still watching Resource Monitor. Do the same in Excel as well.

Take your time. No rush, be consistent and methodical. It may take a few "viewings" to get a sense of what you are seeing and what is happening.

What I believe may be happening is that Word is struggling to move data in and out of the disk drive even though there appears to be plenty of RAM (32 GB).

The same is not true for disk storage: especially with respect to C: drive. Not sure about when and if data is reading/writing to the 1TB SSD. May or may not be involved but some of that may be ascertainable via Resource Monitor.

Where is the Page file located and is the page file being managed by Windows?

Do you know if Disk Clean has ever been run on the system. Or any other similar tool?

No need to, and you should not do so. At least not yet. More needs to be known.

Plus you must be sure that all important data is backed up and proven to be both recoverable and readable. At least 2 x backup sets. One set completely off of the host computer.

Solution