Itanium finally passes Alpha at HP

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP. Looks like it's
mostly in the OpenVMS market though. Most OpenVMS customers are entrenching
around Itanium now. The Alpha-Tru64 market still seems to be volatile.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040820S0005

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP.

Where did you find that in the article you quoted ?

> Looks like it's
> mostly in the OpenVMS market though. Most OpenVMS customers are entrenching
> around Itanium now. The Alpha-Tru64 market still seems to be volatile.
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040820S0005

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

E> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP.

E> Where did you find that in the article you quoted ?

>> Looks like it's mostly in the OpenVMS market though. Most OpenVMS
>> customers are entrenching around Itanium now. The Alpha-Tru64
>> market still seems to be volatile.
>> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040820S0005

Looks like someone posted before reading the article. It appears the
only thing the article discusses is an HP claim the performance of
openvms on itanium has surpassed the alpha. HP would love to kill the
alpha line, and it probably would save them some money on alpha
development. The alpha was dead when compaq brought it. Nice systems
but bound to fail eventually for many different reasons.

I have an old alpha system. Very nice computer, but now it is a
collectors item. You can tell by the low prices used alpha systems
fetch on e-bay that the alpha is pretty much history. With 64 bit
coming online in the commodity market it is just a matter of time. Sun
is trying to make the switch before it is too late.

Whatever. 64 bit has finally arrived!!! It goes to show that being
first does not mean you have a winner. The marketing of computers is
not like the Olympics ;-)).

Later,

Alan

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

In article <873c2fixut.fsf@spamme.onzedge.net>,
Alan Walpool <awalpool@onzedge.net> wrote:

>Looks like someone posted before reading the article. It appears the
>only thing the article discusses is an HP claim the performance of
>openvms on itanium has surpassed the alpha. HP would love to kill the
>alpha line, and it probably would save them some money on alpha
>development. The alpha was dead when compaq brought it. Nice systems
>but bound to fail eventually for many different reasons.

All things are transitory. But it is as false to say that the Alpha
was dead when Compaq bought it as it is to say that Compaq killed
the most successful RISC architecture. The situation was that it
would have needed a massive change in approach to stop it fading,
but it is quite possible that would have changed it from a small
player to an x86 replacement. And it is possible that it would
have sunk even faster if that were attempted. We shall now never
know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

E.S. <emu@ecubics.com> wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP.
>
> Where did you find that in the article you quoted ?

Oops, you're right upon further rereading, I find they were talking about
surpassing the performance of, not the sales of. Oh well, my bad. :)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:46:18 -0500, Alan Walpool <awalpool@onzedge.net>
wrote, in part:

>You can tell by the low prices used alpha systems
>fetch on e-bay that the alpha is pretty much history.

Pity I live in Canada and not the United States. It'll be awkward for me
to take advantage of one of those bargains - I'll have to wait till
someone in Canada wants to get rid of his Alpha.

John Savard

wrote, in part:

>Whatever. 64 bit has finally arrived!!! It goes to show that being
>first does not mean you have a winner. The marketing of computers is
>not like the Olympics ;-)).

Well, the Itanium is also a really big chip with low yields.

64-bit has finally arrived, since AMD *was* first with something - first
at making it affordable.

John Savard

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

John> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:46:18 -0500, Alan Walpool
John> <awalpool@onzedge.net> wrote, in part:

>> Whatever. 64 bit has finally arrived!!! It goes to show that being
>> first does not mean you have a winner. The marketing of computers
>> is not like the Olympics ;-)).

John> Well, the Itanium is also a really big chip with low yields.

John> 64-bit has finally arrived, since AMD *was* first with
John> something - first at making it affordable.

Good point AMD 64 bit was first when it comes to price, and is still
the low price leader at the current time. Looks like the intel 64 bit
x86 processor is not going to compete with the AMD low end 64 bit
processors when it comes to price.

Sorry but forgot to mention the 64 bit powerpc that has been around
awhile. Powerpc is probably cheap but Mac is not cheap. To be complete
Sun has 64 bit also but moving to AMD 64 bit. Itanium is in there
somewhere.

I still like alpha good to hear there is still a demand for this
processor.

Curious - are there any other 64 bit processors that are still on the
market and being actively used?

Later,

Alan

John Savard wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:46:18 -0500, Alan Walpool <awalpool@onzedge.net>
> wrote, in part:
>

>>You can tell by the low prices used alpha systems
>>fetch on e-bay that the alpha is pretty much history.
>

> Pity I live in Canada and not the United States. It'll be awkward for me
> to take advantage of one of those bargains - I'll have to wait till
> someone in Canada wants to get rid of his Alpha.
>
> John Savard
> http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/index.html

1.) The Alpha servers/workstations available on E-Bay are
seldom with processors faster than 233 or 266 MHz.
In other words, only the really ancient stuff is being
sold on E-Bay - so its no surprise that the prices are
low.

Components for upgrading more modern Alpha servers, such
as 1 and 2 GB Memory upgrades for Alpha servers, by contrast
are selling for big bucks. People are willing to pay big
premiums to keep there Alpha servers are alive and well -
hardly a sign that the Alpha is history.

2.) Check the "for sale" newsgroups for your province or city.
Even in Saskatchewan (sk.forsale) we occasionally get local
sales of Alpha systems comparable to what is available on
E-Bay. However, those too are 233 and 266 MHz systems
almost all the time.

3.) What's wrong with using E-Bay but just limiting your search
to Canadian sellers ?

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.

John Savard wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:46:18 -0500, Alan Walpool
> <awalpool@onzedge.net> wrote, in part:
>
>> You can tell by the low prices used alpha systems
>> fetch on e-bay that the alpha is pretty much history.
>
> Pity I live in Canada and not the United States. It'll be awkward for
> me to take advantage of one of those bargains - I'll have to wait till
> someone in Canada wants to get rid of his Alpha.

One of the projects I was on last year was busy buying new Alphas too.

Yousuf Khan

John Savard wrote:
> 64-bit has finally arrived, since AMD *was* first with something -
> first at making it affordable.

And I thought that was Nintendo (sorry, couldn't resist ;-).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Alan Walpool <awalpool@onzedge.net> wrote in message news:<874qmuy8vb.fsf@spamme.onzedge.net>...

> Curious - are there any other 64 bit processors that are still on the
> market and being actively used?

1) In 1Q92, SGI shipped the Crimson product, which used a 64-bit MIPS
R4000, albeit with 32-bit software. DEC shipped Alphas in systems
later that year, and {HP, Sun, IBM, in some order or other} over the
next few years.

2) R4x00s were shipping in Nintendo N64s around 1996.

3) There are of course lots of this family still around, and still
shipping ... in particular, folks like PMC-Sierra and Broadcom &
others sell them ...
and they're been in most CISCO routers for a long time, as well as
lots of laser printers, set-top boxes, and other products. See
http://www.mips.com/content/Ecosystem/Licensees/ProductCatalog/licensees
for companies with current licenses (not all of which use 64-bit, but
many), but many of these licensees sell the chips to other companies.

4) With all due respect to general-purpose computing, I suspect that
most of the world's 64-bit micros are *not* in general-purpose
computers. It is somewhat ironic that 64-bit micros have been there
in HPC and *embedded* for over a decade, and have taken soooo long to
get into the desktop and mid-range [and of course, are being viewed by
the press as "something new".] :) AMD did a very nice job extending
32-bit X86 to 64-bit, almost exactly analogous to what {MIPS, HP, IBM,
Sun} did. Of course, 64-bit super-computers have been around ~30
years.

5) Toshiba's sampling a TX//99-core based one for $45 apiece in 100s,
and I think NEC VR4133s are <$30. There may be cheaper 64-bitters out
there [I just haven't looked lately.]

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

> Well, the Itanium is also a really big chip with low yields.

What makes you think Itanium has low yields? IIRC >70% of the die
area is cache, which is very easy to repair.

> 64-bit has finally arrived, since AMD *was* first with something - first
> at making it affordable.

That is true.

David

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

John> 4) With all due respect to general-purpose computing, I suspect
John> that most of the world's 64-bit micros are *not* in
John> general-purpose computers. It is somewhat ironic that 64-bit
John> micros have been there in HPC and *embedded* for over a decade,
John> and have taken soooo long to get into the desktop and mid-range
John> [and of course, are being viewed by the press as "something
John> new".] :) AMD did a very nice job extending 32-bit X86 to
John> 64-bit, almost exactly analogous to what {MIPS, HP, IBM, Sun}
John> did. Of course, 64-bit super-computers have been around ~30
John> years.

John that was interesting reading. I was not aware that 64 bit had
such a large foot hold in embedded systems. Amazing but my take on the
above notes is why did it take x86 so long to make it to 64 bit? Looks
like intel was never going to move from 64 bit unless forced to do so.
I guess this is one time competition forced the x86 desktop to 64 bit.
I wish I had purchased some AMD stock when it below 10 bucks a share
several years ago. ;-)). That is how it goes.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Walpool wrote:
> I wish I had purchased some AMD stock when it below 10 bucks a share
> several years ago. ;-)). That is how it goes.

Huh? Seveal years ago (2000-2001 frame), AMD was at one point up to ~50
bucks (actually, 100 bucks, that was before the split); last year, it was
down to 5 bucks or so, and now it's at 12 bucks, so not much away from your
"strong buy" price.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> E.S. <emu@ecubics.com> wrote:
> > Yousuf Khan wrote:
> >> Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP.
> >
> > Where did you find that in the article you quoted ?
>
> Oops, you're right upon further rereading, I find they were talking about
> surpassing the performance of, not the sales of. Oh well, my bad. :)

It's also wise to observe exactly who was doing the talking - Terry Shannon,
well-known HP shill.

The only figures I've seen from that presentation indicated that while the
top-of-the-line Itanic was able to beat lower-end Alphas in the traditional
'Vax Unit of Performance' (VUPS) metric, the 1.15 GHz Alpha was still
marginally faster, even in its previous-generation process and without using
the absolutely newest (1.3 GHz) models.

Of course, if Alpha hadn't been killed three years ago, the new Itanics
would have been competing (though the performance gap would have made that
word somewhat laughable) against EV8, with over twice the performance of EV7
plus 4-way SMT (offering another factor of close to 3 in commercial
workloads like TPC-C, according to the simulations performed prior to EV8's
demise - enough to leave POWER5 in the dust as well, though in EV8's absence
POWER5 seems a good bet to thorougly shame Itanic for at least the next 30
months in TPC-C).

- bill

Bill Todd wrote:
> Of course, if Alpha hadn't been killed three years ago, the new Itanics
> would have been competing (though the performance gap would have made that
> word somewhat laughable) against EV8, with over twice the performance of EV7
> plus 4-way SMT (offering another factor of close to 3 in commercial
> workloads like TPC-C, according to the simulations performed prior to EV8's
> demise - enough to leave POWER5 in the dust as well, though in EV8's absence
> POWER5 seems a good bet to thorougly shame Itanic for at least the next 30
> months in TPC-C).

This is untrue. The EV8 was reported as having vastly better
performance than Itanium or Pentium 4, and I was eagerly waiting for it
(almost drooling). But one thing you leave out is the Alpha team's
tendancy to keep projects going long after their planned release dates.
EV8 would not be availible realistically until 2006. By that time it
would be 4 threads for Alpha vs 2 cores*2 threads for Pentium 4,
Itanium, and Power. It would be at best comparable, if not behind the
times, since all three of those architectures would have their 2*2 by
2005. Alpha has a problem with "give me 2% more performance and you can
delay the project as long as it takes". The team recognizes this as
their downfall and points it out all the time.

Alex
--
My words are my own. They represent no other; they belong to no other.
Don't read anything into them or you may be required to compensate me

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

In article <MvqdnbwJLoavFbDcRVn-og@metrocastcablevision.com>,
"Bill Todd" <billtodd@metrocast.net> writes:

|> It's also wise to observe exactly who was doing the talking - Terry Shannon,
|> well-known HP shill.

That is unfair. He is biassed, because he wouldn't get cooperation
if he wasn't, but he is not simply a shill.

One line I noticed from his presentation was "No denial of service
attacks... and more". Like the 13th stroke of a clock, that casts
doubt over the rest of HP's claims. I have seen that claim made
by many vendors over many years, and it is invariably a sign of a
presentation that is largely bullshit. The reason is that it is
provably equivalent to solving the halting problem.

No, I can't say WHICH of the other statements in HP's presentation
are bullshit, and which are largely true, but I am sure that quite
a lot will be the former - simply because of that inclusion. It
really IS that indicative - marketdroids please note!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message news:<fpOVc.436$ZuZ.8@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Itanium sales have finally surpassed Alpha sales at HP. Looks like it's
> mostly in the OpenVMS market though. Most OpenVMS customers are entrenching
> around Itanium now. The Alpha-Tru64 market still seems to be volatile.
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040820S0005
>
> Yousuf Khan

QUOTE:
"The performance crossover point -- the point at which IPF will meet,
and begin to exceed by a widening margin, the performance of Alpha --
is expected to occur in the EV7z/Madison9M timeframe," Shannon said
referring to the final iteration of the Alpha family (EV7z) and a new
Itanium configuration (Madison9M.)"
(End of quote)

Well, this is interesting, isn't it? The Madison9M can finally beat
the lower clocked Alpha. That makes me wonder what the promise of
higher IPC rates for EPIC compared to other ISAs are really worth.
Especially when you take the fact into account that the Madison has
huge 9 MiB L3 Cache on die compared to tiny 1.75 MiB L2 of the EV7z.
On-die cache mostly helps a lot for performance.

That's what we have seen regarding single CPU performance as i.e. SPEC
INT/FP BASE 2000 results are higher for Itanium than for Alpha. So if
HP (ok not really HP but Terry Shannon) is still saying that with
Madison9M the performance level of Alpha is reached/overtaken they/he
must refer to SMP systems. Here Alpha has an advantage with its four
highspeed interconnects for direct CPU communication compared to the
shared bus of Itanium which seems to be a bottleneck.

So if performance for larger system is more dependent on interconnect
choice and its implementation I ask myself why a new ISA is neccessary
and why other ISAs had to die in favor of this new one. The point
seems to me not to choose an ISA with a theoretical advantage in ILP
rate but to implement good (low latency) CPU interconnects.

Call me an Alpha fanboy but I find it simply amusing that a 0.18 µm
Alpha EV7z finally gets overtaken in terms of performance from a not
yet released 0.09 µm Madison with 5 times the amount of on-die cache.
Well, I wonder when the point of "overtaken" would have been reached
if the original plans for an EV79 (0.13µm, 3 MB L2, 1.8 GHz+) had been
realized and not delayed and finally canceled by HP.

Sorry for OT, but when hearing those statements from the above quote I
really ask myself why Alpha is being replaced by Itanium.

Regards,

Matt

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Alex Johnson wrote:

> 2005. Alpha has a problem with "give me 2% more performance and you can
> delay the project as long as it takes". The team recognizes this as
> their downfall and points it out all the time.

sources for this?
Peter

Peter Boyle pboyle@physics.gla.ac.uk

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

> drooling). But one thing you leave out is the Alpha team's tendancy to keep
> projects going long after their planned release dates. EV8 would not be

My memory is as blurry as ever, but I faintly seem to remeber that 21064 and
21164 were pretty much right on time. 21364 was late indeed, but with
plenty of excuses for it, given the tribulations of the company during
this time. As for 21264, I can't remember at all, tho I'd guess it was
a bit late, as most other CPUs are. So it seemed like the team was not
particularly bad w.r.t deadlines.

Stefan

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

> Sorry for OT, but when hearing those statements from the above quote I
> really ask myself why Alpha is being replaced by Itanium.

Why would you think the reasons are technical?

Stefan

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

In article <rLWdnWEku78yobPcRVn-vw@metrocastcablevision.com>,
Bill Todd <billtodd@metrocast.net> wrote:

>Shannon,
>>
>> That is unfair. He is biassed, because he wouldn't get cooperation
>> if he wasn't, but he is not simply a shill.
>
>I suppose if you have kept anywhere nearly as close track of Terry's pro-HP
>blather as I have, especially since June 25, 2001, you have a right to make
>such a statement (though I'll still challenge it).
>
>Have you?

No, but I have read a fair number of his articles, both before and
after that, and have found them useful. I can tell you why our
opinions differ.

I regard the trumpet blowing, flag waving and generalised hype as
the content-free rubbish that it is. I doubt that you will disagree
with THAT - and, if you could get him drunk enough, I doubt that
Terry Shannon would, either. Producing that verbiage is the price of
getting the information that he does. I let that wash over my head.

Where he differs from the true shills is that he doesn't manipulate
the facts, and leaves the real information in there for those who
are prepared to dig it out. And I have generally found it pretty
reliable. There are other commentators who I have seen lying black
is white about hard facts in order to justify their position.

I agree that the quality of his articles has gone down as DEC gave
way to Compaq and Compaq to DEC, because he has been trying to
maintain a positive spin in the face of a more and more negative
situation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Matt R. wrote:
> Call me an Alpha fanboy but I find it simply amusing that a 0.18 µm
> Alpha EV7z finally gets overtaken in terms of performance from a not
> yet released 0.09 µm Madison with 5 times the amount of on-die cache.
> Well, I wonder when the point of "overtaken" would have been reached
> if the original plans for an EV79 (0.13µm, 3 MB L2, 1.8 GHz+) had been
> realized and not delayed and finally canceled by HP.

All very valid, but a technical correction on your rant: Madison9M is
0.13 µm not 0.09 µm.

--

Bill Todd wrote:

> In 'Beyond Superdome", he first waxes poetic about current Superdome
> capabilities, such as their internal interconnect fabric. Let's see: this
> is the server architecture (at least somewhat reminiscent of the old and
> rather mediocre GS320 server architecture) that using 64 top-of-the-line
> Itanics barely manages to stay ahead of the new POWER5 box that requires
> only 16 processors (on a grand total of 8 chips, since they're dual-core) in
> TPC-C, right?

I believe you have misinterpretted the "16 processor" POWER5. IBM
actually refers to chips. "16 processor" as reported is 16 POWER5
chips, comprised of 32 cores, allowing 64 threads of execution. So the
64-thread Madison vs the 64-thread POWER5 having similar performance is
just a sign that things are about equal. I'm stunned by how good POWER5
is. But I know that next year Montecito will go from 1 thread per
package to 4 threads per package. Itanium will be down to a 16P system
to compete with IBM's 16P system.

> Then he crows, "HP delivers dual core before Intel" as some kind of
> significant achievement. Well, maybe. Of course, Sun is delivering
> dual-core SPARC processors today, and IBM started delivering dual-core
> POWER4s nearly three years ago. So what beating Intel to the punch mostly
> proves is just how far behind the curve Itanic really is, I'd suggest.

And Itanium being behind the curve is a joint decision between intel and
HP, pushed by HP. If not for staffing levels on Itanium a few years
back and HP pushing to be the first to do the interesting dual-core
project, there would have been a dual-core Itanium 2 on the market last
year.

> Doubling
> current system performance by about a year from now actually sounds pretty
> impressive, until you recognize that Superdome's TPC-C performance today
> with 64 processors falls slightly behind today's previous-design-generation
> POWER4+ systems that use only half that number of processors and only
> slightly manages to beat today's POWER5 boxes that use only 1/4th as many
> processors.

As explained above, if you compare per thread, these machines are
equivalent in size (64P Madison, 32P * 2 cores POWER4+, 16P * 2 cores *
2 threads POWER5).

> When Montecito comes along late next year
> it will indeed close much of this gap with POWER5 (Terry's second
> TPC-C-specific performance graph suggests it should slightly exceed 2
> million tpmC), but POWER5 (a full process generation behind Montecito but
> still heading for about 3 million tpmC late *this* year) will no longer be
> IBM's top-of-the-line product by then, since POWER5+ (in the same process
> generation as Montecito) should then be shipping and upping the ante
> significantly.

I have not seen these graphs. Could you tell me what configuration
those X million tpmC results are for? 4P, 16P, 64P, 64 *thread*. How
are the estimates being made. I don't have a lot of TPC numbers, but I
know a 4-socket Madison today is 121K and a 4-socket POWER5 (yes, that's
16 threads) is 371K and Montecito is supposed to also be around 370K in
4-socket. It will be a tight race. If you could explain the
configurations, that would help me. If you could quote published
4-socket numbers for POWER4 and POWER4+, that would help me (I'm trying
to make a table).

> And Fujitsu has regular enhancements to SPARC64
> coming along to keep pace with Itanic (though not POWER), regardless of what
> one may think of Sun's future efforts for that architecture.

> SPARC is dead, eh? Or 'no longer relevant', as a later slide says.
> Someone better tell Fujitsu so it will stop stomping all over the
> latest Itanics in commercial benchmarks like jbb2000: that's really
> not suitable behavior for a 'dead' processor. And by all means make
> sure those HP customers who are defecting to Sun know this: what on
> earth do you suppose they're thinking?!

Fujitsu is far ahead of Sun in performance, but they are far behind even
the laggard (intel) when it comes to features. They say dual-core at
end of '05, dual-core with 2 threads each sometime in '07. Compare that
to Montecito which is mid-'05 with dual-core and 2 threads per core.
Two years ahead. What Fujitsu *does* have that keeps pace, or even
stays ahead, is RAS. I don't have much hope for the SPARC family going
ahead. Niagra and Rock could either be a revolution or a flop, but I
think that if Sun sticks with SPARC-64, it will drag them to the bottom
of the ocean.

Itanium is a lousy performer in Java. That is because Java employs
self-modifying code and the Itanium spec explicitly states you can't do
that. It was shortsighted to put that in, but they hoped to escape the
IA32 complexities self-modifying code added to the design. It cost them
vast amounts of performance. It was analyzed and Montecito should have
much better jbb results as they've added new instructions and features
to directly speed up SMC. After all, intel targetted Sun when they
marketted Itanium. To leave Java performance in the shitter would be
marketting suicide.

> Well, given that 'about now' is upon us and I don't see any "Alpha/IA64
> hybrids" being benchmarked, 2007 seems at least a lot more credible. I
> guess my prediction of 2006 three years ago was slightly optimistic, but for
> a 5-year-out guesstimate I don't feel *that* ashamed of it.

Yeah, having "hybrid" designs now was always BS. It was from an
external guess with no information. Assuming the Alpha folks were
divided up and sent to each project being worked on in 2001, there might
be Alpha concepts coming out now, but intel kept the Alphans together
and gave them a new project of their own that wasn't on any roadmaps in
2001. Shannon just couldn't have known that and spread his rosie ideal
picture of the future. It was unprofessional to report on what he'd
like to see rather than what he knows, but it's common practice.

Alex