It's Diablo 3 All Over Again with the SimCity 5 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Exactly why I'll be passing on SC5 when I enjoyed all of the previous flavors. This type of icing just ruins the whole cake for me..

stormblade42

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
EA, you are the bane of gaming. Your Origin crap on BF3 was enough to turn me off. Aside from the technology, I miss the PC gaming days of the 90's.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I had to try a couple times for a few minutes to get the download but no big deal.

This issue I had was that after playing a few hours, (I'm very happy with the game play, solo only) I quit to go out to eat with the wife and when I came back, I couldn't get back on.

You start with a 20 minute que before it even tries to let you in. Then at the end of 20 minutes if it doesn't let you in, you start all over again.

I repeated the process for an hour (3 times) then finally had to give up and go to bed.

Come on man.... Online only is totally unnecessaryand an insult to your customers.

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Just give it a couple of weeks for the hacked emulated servers to be released so you can opt out of EA's always online DRM.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]I had to try a couple times for a few minutes to get the download but no big deal.This issue I had was that after playing a few hours, (I'm very happy with the game play) I quite to go out to eat with the wife and when I came back, I couldn't get back on.You start with a 20 minute que before it even tries to let you in. Then at the end of 20 minutes if it doesn't let you in, you start all over again. I repeated the process for an hour (3 times) then finally had to give up and go to bed.Come on man....[/citation]

That'll teach ya to take the wife out to eat... ;-)

Seriously though, this is also why I refused to buy/play D3. And I was on the original Beta team telling them from the beginning this was a bad idea... They don't care or listen... To them, I'm sure the games will be a giant success, regardless that they could have had 4x or more sales without the BS DRMs.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ya no kidding. She knows I've been excited like a school kid since I heard this was coming, then I was in all 3 beta's which only made the wait worse. I'm pretty sure to mess with me she was doing the best she could to keep me from playing it. LOL I better got on tonight and if I do I'm not leaving for anything!

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Didn't read the article did ya?

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Things to understand about this DRM...If servers are down, there is nothing we on the consumer side can do. The calculations that are done on the server side are this, every sim in the city, every car in the city, electricity, water, sewage, fire, crime and health are all performed on the server side. SimCity 4 started with the pc side simulations with the cars which were always being updated. The things that weren't being simulated were the fires, water, disasters, healthcare, and others. Most of them were random triggered events.

I understand why they moved those to be server side. It should only affect the player when they want to be online. Their should be an offline version. However, I knew this wasn't going to happen and I bought the game. Is it a fun Simulation of City building...Yeah, would it be able to run on computers that are 3-5 years old, maybe...

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
No trial version! No thanks! Look how popular 'Age of Empires Online' is. Oh wait it is free to play and they are still closing servers. Not that the game is not good but the server disconnections in the middle of a hour long campaign and the 10mins of multiple sign-ins required just to play a 15min game.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]peterson99[/nom]Really? Why is this such a big deal, I mean who doesn't have a constant internet connection these days anyways[/citation]
It wouldn't be... except that it requires a constant GOOD connection to play... understand? Not just a quick 1/10th of a second DRM check.

DRM hurts gaming.... pirates hurts gaming.

EA (Electronic Assholes) hurts gaming.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I bought all Sim Sity games but this one i won't, its clear EA only cares about themselves at the expense of their customers - Just like blizzard did with d3. Will be fun to see how few pre-purchases ect Blizzard will get with the next title after diablo 3's "suxess".

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

And that STILL wouldn't solve the problems being discussed in this article caused by DRM.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
If you want to use a photo of Boogie2988/Francis you should at least mention him in the article and link to his SimCity 5 rage video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VClRhU404

HAHAA, I'd want to rage with him but I'd be laughing to hard at him! That's totally his mom's basement.
It's ironic that he says "this is an embarrassement, you guy's should be ashamed of yourself, get your life together man"

I was dissappointed, I went to bed.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Dear EA (and all publishers really),

I don't mind paying $60 for games. Just look at the bookshelf behind me full of PC, PS3, xBox 360, and Wii titles. I support good games, no matter the platform. I don't even mind the game needing an Internet connection during install or every now and then to update itself, but a constant Internet connection is a deal killer.

I work in field service, which means I travel around repairing other people's problems. Sometimes I have to wait several hours for a part to show up, and I pass the time by playing games as sleeping is frowned upon. But you know what, I can't play this game, or a lot of your games, as you insist upon an Internet connection.

I love the SimCity franchise and would gladly buy this one but YOU made a decision to narrow your market with this requirement. Besides, I would rather support Steam anyway, although I did buy SimCity 4 on sale on Steam last year, so I do not know I was supporting them or you. Doesn't matter, good game at good price.

Sorry for the rambling,
Catfish

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
EA:
why should we invest in faster and better servers when we already got the money from the people who pre-order/bought the game

we dont care if they can play the game, we can if they can pay for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.