It's the "World's First" 7.1 Surround Sound Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Call me a simpleton but how can you get true 7.1 sound through two earmuffs?[/citation]

it cannot simply for space reasons, it's yet another gimmickly gaming headset with sound quality that looses to real headphones half it's price

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The only reason why they can call it "7.1" is because of all the little speakers packed into each muff.

Doesn't mean you get what a real 7.1 setup does thou.

I think the thing will be too heavy to have on my head for more than an hour.

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I have a set of 5.1 surround sound headphones from Zalman that work (bass is weak though) but they are huge and heavy. It's like strapping dumbbells to your head.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The main problem with newcomers like Razer is the lack of support. I had a pair of Zalman 5.1 headphones, but had to ditch them since they don't sell replacement ear cushions. Now I only use Sennheiser - an established audio brand and you can buy replacement cushions for all of their headphones. Not to mention their build quality is better - I haven't had a need to replace air cushions to my oldest headphones and I've had them for over 5 years. Of course the primary reason to get Sennheiser is the outstanding audio quality for a relatively reasonable price... I'd consider multichannel (5.1 perhaps) headphones again if they made such.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Best Buy had some Beats headphones on display. I don't think I ever heard a wider soundstage with so much bass from headphones before. It was way better than Sennheiser headphones and it's extremely difficult to make better sounding headphones than Sennheiser headphones.

G

Try UltraSone headsets, PRO 900 for instance .... But that's in the "pro" price range. I can hear track details I couldn't otherwise

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have a Razer Barracuda audio system, which is the combo of the first (and so far only) Razer Soundcard + 5.1 Surround headphones (8 drivers total).
I can completely assure you that they DO deliver true surround, and I recommend you find reviews about it (overclocker's club has a great one).
If its any like the Barracuda it will be as good as they claim.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Oh, and I forgot. Bass is a weak point in most surround headphones. Mine are a beast in that matter, if I crank up the volume and place them on the table I can feel the entire room vibrate with it. THE BASS MAKES IT SO WORTH IT.
It is a little heavy, but I have a big head so I don't tend to notice. It's still quite comfortable to wear for hours on end.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Oh, and I forgot. Bass is a weak point in most surround headphones. Mine are a beast in that matter, if I crank up the volume and place them on the table I can feel the entire room vibrate with it. THE BASS MAKES IT SO WORTH IT.It is a little heavy, but I have a big head so I don't tend to notice. It's still quite comfortable to wear for hours on end.[/citation]
You're room vibrates from a set of headphones? Must be a damn small one.

goldenthunder

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
"The Razer Tiamat 7.1 will be priced at $179.99 (179.99 euro) and the Razer Tiamat 2.2 will be priced at $99.99 (99.99 euro)."

So $1 = 1 Euro again? More profit in Europe, but do the Europeans really have more money? If I compare to the wages listed here:
http://www.worldsalaries.org/usa.shtml - average in 2005: $42,028
http://www.worldsalaries.org/germany.shtml - average in 2003: 30,207 Euros ($36,444)
it is clear that a 1 to 1 translation is definitely not the case. On average the income is even LESS! (although I am comparing two different years.

According to this simple comparison and todays exchange rates the prices should be:
The Razer Tiamat 7.1 will be priced at $179.99 (108.65 euro) and the Razer Tiamat 2.2 will be priced at $99.99 (60.35 euro).

Quite some difference :(.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I've been using a Logitech 7.1 headset for a few months now. It works well. I play mostly Left4dead and I can hear if the zombies are behind or on the sides of me, which is a huge advantage over 2 channel headsets.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
You can hear from a stereo headphone a 360 degree sound effect but in a loop, with multiple speaker its possible to simulate a 7.1 sound effect but only thing headphone wont enable to simulate is the bass vibration, unless they add a vibrator that you strap on you but that would be stupid to wear !

microshift

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
So instead of two high quality drivers in each ear (like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc.), they are putting 5 shit ones in each ear?
Think about it, they can't be good quality drivers since a) they are extremely limited space-wise, and b) the headphones don't cost $500+.

G

So 7 tiny drivers versus two kick butt ones? Get the Sennheisser HD595 and dont look back on these poor compromises. Or the HD600 if you have an essence sound card or a headphone amp...

Status
Not open for further replies.