Question Ive been really underwhelmed with the performance of my PC, am I missing anything?

Jan 28, 2024
Here is basically every component of my PC:

ASUS TUF RTX4080 16G
Intel i7-14700K
G.Skill 32G 2X D5 6000 C35 RJ B
Samsung e 2TB 980 pro NVME GEN4S
MSI Pro Z790-P Wifi D5 ATX
ASUS TUF 1000W 80+G ATX3 PSU
Deepcool AK620 CPU Cooler

My monitor is solid, Benq capable of 4k60hz, I don’t know if maybe it is the issue.

Every game I run is extremely choppy, I have terrible screen tear, and it will stutter a lot. I don’t know if anything I have is faulty, I just bought this PC a month ago.

I would appreciate any advice.

Jan 28, 2024
If you don't already, enable Vsync or Gsync (If your monitor supports it). Unsynced frames are terribly apparent at 60Hz.
VSync fixes some of the issues but with that comes input delay.

Without VSync enables I will cap the frames at 30fps and my PC will still have problems running it. VSync looks like my only solution but I really want to explore my options.

Is this something I will have to live with? Is there any component I can upgrade?

Something is wrong.
As a basic performance test, run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance.
You should get a score near 883:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/n345m4

Screen tearing comes from a mismatch of frame generation capability and the frame presentation capability of the display.

I am no expert on nvidia settings, but this older article suggests that fast sync may be what you want.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

VSync fixes some of the issues but with that comes input delay.

Without VSync enables I will cap the frames at 30fps and my PC will still have problems running it. VSync looks like my only solution but I really want to explore my options.

Is this something I will have to live with? Is there any component I can upgrade?
One option is a higher refresh rate display, even at lower framerates. Running unsynced the higher frequency refresh rate can hide the frame tearing (at 120Hz each frame is displayed for half the time as 60Hz, your eyes may not register the tear or frametime variability). How well this works really will depend on the display itself, and your eyes. I cannot guarantee this will work as some people are very sensitive to it. Gsync (any variable RR really) is the other option and most quality displays come with either Freesync, Gsync or both. 4K is a tough spot, the only card that can truly push that many pixels at a decent framerate (in AAA titles) currently is the 4090.

Something is wrong.
As a basic performance test, run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance.
You should get a score near 883:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/n345m4

Screen tearing comes from a mismatch of frame generation capability and the frame presentation capability of the display.

I am no expert on nvidia settings, but this older article suggests that fast sync may be what you want.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13
Fast Sync is a thought, personally I never noticed a difference using it over Vsync but worth a shot I think. As for a CPU bench, I'm fairly certain at 4K they are likely GPU bound, depending on the specific titles. Doesn't hurt to check though.

Before I worry about game performance, I test CPU performance and GPU performance using synthetic benchmarks, like Cinebench. The reason is I want to confirm that my computer components are working more or less as they should. For example, if you compare your Cinebench scores to other people's scores who have the same CPU, your score should be reasonably close to their scores. I'd also try to run a utility that will show your CPU clock speed while you run a game. If it's supposed to be 3.4ghz and you see it's lower than that, that would explain the bad performance. One reason it might be low is if the cooler isn't attached correctly and the CPU is running slow in an attempt to stay cool.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance while gaming.

Use all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

Objective being to determine what happens or changes when there is tearing or stuttering.

One other immediate suggestion:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Something may be a bit loose.

TRENDING THREADS