'Jack PC' Mimics Wall Outlet, Looks Awesome

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The specs are a little too low but with a little tweaking we could possibly redefine media PC.

radiumburn

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Would be great for a Kiosk but seems rather limited for alot of applications.. Need a server backend that can make use of it and even then you would want to have multiples of these and then your looking at prices that are too high for basic needs IMO

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Plug in a KB/M, speakers and monitor, and where is the space savings compared to a laptop? For the same price, you can get a laptop that has much more capibilities than this thing. It's just a toy for people with more money than sense.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
thought this was a wall plate literally, wherein you could line/install all the necessary cables behind a wall and have those connected to a physical pc located on a desired location.

mavroxur

Distinguished
These have been around forever. I remember deploying these at a car dealership for the offices and kiosks back on like 2003. Not the same brand, but basically the same thing. And even to this day, they're still slow and horsepower-deprived. They're a thin client. They're life support for web browsing or remote desktop sessions, and not much more. For what they do, they're GREAT. For the average person, they're useless. And besides, if you're going thin client, it almost makes more sense to go zero client and have a fast back-end ESX server.

[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]Hmmm. Not really sure what good use those could have.Not dissing on them, per say, but I don't really see any practical application for them. Im sure someone might have a use for them, though.Just because you can make something really really small, doesnt mean you should. But to each there own I guess.[/citation]

These kind of machines would work great when all your applications are loaded through a web portal so at the other end all they really need would be a basic machine like this. Imagine replacing full desktop PC's in exam rooms with something like this (to write medical notes and emails). This could spell the end for larger thin clients.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Combine this with a power-over-ethernet solution and you have an all-in-one terminal that fits in a wall socket! I like the premise, but I can't actually see a good use for this. At least, for me!

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]You dont want to know......http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/res [...] nd+it.y=14[/citation]
LOL what were they thinking? You can get really decent desktop pc's in that price range!

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom] I'd say it'd be OK if they're in the ~$100 price range (given the specs).As much as I prefer DVI over hdmi on my pc, I think the form factor screams for mini hdmi instead of DVI.[/citation]

$100 is the right price point. One in each room of the house (one in the garage, a couple in the car, one on the front porch, a couple in the back yard for outdoor entertainment, imagination is the only limit), server in a closet and LCD panels scattered throughout.

It screams for wireless HDMI/video. Or, if my memory serves me, CAT5 video. I think I saw an article here about CAT cable becoming the "One cable to rule them all." Power, video, communication, etc.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
This is truly a great solution. Think of a school. I used to work at Idaho state university and we had on average 5000 computers in use everyday. I can safely say that 80% of these computers had to run a whopping total of office 2007 with outloock and maybe a second database program. The sad thing is that most of these computers were e8400s with 4 gigs of ram nvidia 8400 equivilant graphics. And each computer cost an average of 1800$ from dell for warrenty plan big monitors and decent accesories like keyboard mice blah blah. They already have gigatic server rooms and several servers to spare doing nothing. In that situation they could wire each building with one of these in the wall completly eliminate the hardware overhead, powerbill, troubleshooting issues and have far far cleaning more organized enviroments. Many buissnes and office typicly have powerfull computers running office email internet and a database program. thin clients work great for those purposes especial when you have a 50+ user base. Saves alot of money is start up costs.

heyduderadical

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Aren’t most smart phones capable of this without cutting a hole in the wall? It appears that it should named the "iJack" not "PC"... Then again it does have USB ports.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]What are you going to connect to the cloud to? This is a terminal client, it doesn't run anything locally. Nothing says the server you connect to has to be in the building, it could be remote, and you connect over the internet. That's kinda the whole idea of cloud computing, isn't it?And don't forget, Cat6 gets you gigabit, you'll be lucky if you get 400mbps with your Wireless-N router sitting a foot from your computer.[/citation]

Cat6 will accually do 10Gigabit (10GBase-T)if the cabling is < 56 meters without a repeater of some sort... not that your NIC could handle that much.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Cool idea, but too expensive. Thin clients run everything from the server so they don't need to be powerful. Relaying video and input is about all they need to do. It works well in schools because you only need to upgrade or make changes on the server to have it reflected on all client terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.