i have pictures that have been downloaded from a sony
digital camera. question is how can i format these files
into jpeg format in order to print at a photo place.

Any photo imaging program will do the job.
Photoshop & Photoshop Elements are two that come to mind at this moment.

"jackie" wrote:

> i have pictures that have been downloaded from a sony
> digital camera. question is how can i format these files
> into jpeg format in order to print at a photo place.

If the file type is proprietary, it might not be recognized by other
applications in which case, you would need to use the application Sony
provided with the camera or some version of it updated for XP.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"jackie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have pictures that have been downloaded from a sony
> digital camera. question is how can i format these files
> into jpeg format in order to print at a photo place.

mspaint will save files as jpeg.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:59:29 -0700, jackie wrote:

> i have pictures that have been downloaded from a sony
> digital camera. question is how can i format these files
> into jpeg format in order to print at a photo place.

Jackie, you do not mention what file type your camera produces. If it is a
one of the more standard image file types, open it in an imaging program
capable of reading that file type. Then use File> Save As to convert the
image to a *.JPG file.

Using this option, you will still have the original file on your hard drive
as well as the new *.JPG file. It's up to you what you want to do with the
original.

*.JPG files use "lossy compression" -- pixels are tossed out to create a
smaller file. Over time and depending on how it's handled, the image can
degrade. To avoid that from happening, I hang on to original files and work
from copies. Since the original is always on hand (moved to a CD or DVD), I
can "mess around" with the copy as much as I want to: save in any format,
edit the image, etc.

If your camera saves pictures in a file type that is unique for Sony
cameras, check Michael's answer for info on how to deal with images you
already have on hand.

For future images: Some, but not all, cameras can capture images in a
variety of formats. Choose a format that is easily read by the graphic
programs that you like to use. Check your camera's manual to see what
choices are available and for directions on how to change the camera's
settings.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

johnf

I'd start of by downloading "Irfanview" (free).
http://www.irfanview.com/

It recognises 19 image formats, simple to resize images, plus stacks of
other options.

--

johnf