'Just Cause 3' PC Specs Released, Sans Storage Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Map size = large storage requirement? Is the map expected to surpass that of Arma 3 and Dayz? I doubt it. Those games do not require a ridiculous amount of storage space.

I would assume 50GB at most. Seems games are rather large these days.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Unless there's tons of uncompressed 1080p cut-scenes there's no reason it should be over 30GB. Games are getting out of control these days. Running games on SSDs def has its benefit over hdd.

SteffanDavies

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Unless there's tons of uncompressed 1080p cut-scenes there's no reason it should be over 30GB. Games are getting out of control these days. Running games on SSDs def has its benefit over hdd.

Textures take up a lot of space too.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Hmmm. Looks like either the studio received an "incentive" from nVidia, or they're letting their inner fanboy bias show when coding. Why would 3GB of VRAM be recommended for an nVidia GPU, but yet it's the minimum for the AMD GPU? I mean, if you're going to include a bias for 1 or the other in your game code, at least try to mask it by recommending GPUs with equal amounts of VRAM.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Seems like it's a typo. The 7870 has 2GB VRAM and is actually less powerful than the Nvidia GTX 670.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Games are getting big! 65GB+ 4 GTA 5! Star Citizen may be at 100GB or so?

2TB SSDs will be under $200 within a few years IMO but until then, I guess just keep a few of these big games installed at once.

eathdemon

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
would I be able to run it well? I have a i5 4430 3ghz, gtx 770/ I have brought up my cpu in context of upgrading before, and was told newer games over inflat it. is that the case here?

Assuming there are quality settings to choose from, you meet or exceed the minimum requirements, and should therefore be able to run the game. I think "minimum requirements" these days are actually closer to medium-ish. You have a quad-core in 3.0 to 3.5 Ghz range which is typical, and the GTX 770 is a rebranded GTX 680, which is better than the GTX 670 they list as minimum. Sounds like you'll have a good time. ;)

SteffanDavies

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

They sure are getting big! But hey, I rather wait a day to download 60GB+ than be stuck with the horrible compressed textures that plagued Seventh Generation on many games.

Actually you've got that a little backwards. Titanfall compressed the audio on the consoles ( 17GB on XB1 ), but left it uncompressed on PC ( 48GB install ). The excuse the dev gave is that they were concerned the older dual-core CPUs couldn't handle the game and the audio streams simultaneously, so the end user got stuck with 35GB of pure audio ( and I believe some of that was even other language packs ).

The uncompressed audio excuse doesn't fly here because the minimum CPU to run the game is a quad-core. There's no way they can say a Sandy Bridge i5 can't handle audio decompression in addition to the rest of the game processing.

Jonathan_21

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Yes you will. Easy.

Jonathan_21

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

GTX 780 = R9 290. Nvidia just happened to make it 3 gigs 384 bus size. Same generation of video card. The bus size of AMD does not allow 3 gigs on hawai 512 bus size (well not easy)

Actually R9 290 and hawai in general are way past kepler (GTX 780) lately, they used to be equal.

The new maxwell from Nvidia tho are offering more than the fury generation in my opinion.

ohyes247

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
just-cause-3-pc-system-specs-leaked-144832509074.jpg

Quit inflating the hardware requirements and making people flip, I thought Toms was reliable. lol

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
The main problem is that they include all of the 2K-4K textures. Aside from physical blu-ray release, digital downloads should give the option of downloading the complete all res option installations or just the 1080p with reduced install and download size.

Maybe 1080p as default and then 2k-4k standalones "patches".

Games have offered hi-res optional downloads for years, both for higher-res monitors, and GPUs with the power to store and process the richer textures. No reason they couldn't offer the same here, if indeed they aren't.

Mind saying exactly where that came from? Or better yet, how old it is? Recommended specs can often change throughout development. If that's an old pre-order box, there's nothing saying the specs listed there are guaranteed to remain the same. I don't speak German, but I'd actually be very surprised if it didn't say somewhere on that box that the system specs were subject to change.

It depends on how the game was coded. There's nothing strange if a game can run just as well on a weaker NVidia or AMD card if the graphics were optimized for one over the other.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The texture size has nothing to do with your monitor size, It's the size and quality layered in a 3D space. You can game on a 1080p monitor and appreciate 4k textures, they look better close up.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Looks like the game is taking advantage of multiple cores. The 6-core Thuban @ 3 GHz is supposed to match the Quad-core SB @ 3.3 GHz, even though the SB has a higher clock speed *and* is much faster per-clock, per-core. Same story for the Recommended specs.

So... size does matter?
RedJaron, the way the devs of titanfall said it was one thing, the reality was they did not want to compress the audio on PC because it would mean more optimization to make it work correctly on all different hardware, so they were right about dual cores having problems with the game and audio, but didnt explain why that was the case.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
I envy these people complaining how a 50GB+ would take them as long as a day or two.
Here, games that big will take at least a week 24/7 and will tear through a whole months worth of data cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS