[SOLVED] Just got a 5600x Need a motherboard help

Solution
Got a really good deal on the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s. Can you reccomend any ddr4 3200mhz ram sticks, nothing fancy or rgb just good preformence for gaming, wish i could get higher mhz but the mb only supports 3200... I think ?

There is a kit from G.Skill at 3200MH (2x8) 16GB that are listed on the MB QVL and well priced from newegg at $65
They are Ripjaws Part No F4-3200C16D-16GVGB which are tested and known to work.

If you want to try faster at say 3600MHz you will have to manually set their SPD in Bios as there will not be an XMP or D.O.C.P Profile. There is no guarantee they will work at that frequency. You take a chance so make sure you can return them if they don't play fair.

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Last edited:
Got a really good deal on the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s. Can you reccomend any ddr4 3200mhz ram sticks, nothing fancy or rgb just good preformence for gaming, wish i could get higher mhz but the mb only supports 3200... I think ?
For memory support, given the newness of you hardware, it would be wise to stick with the QVL (RAM that has been tested bye Asus with your mobo)

Reactions: noaharc

There is a kit from G.Skill at 3200MH (2x8) 16GB that are listed on the MB QVL and well priced from newegg at $65
They are Ripjaws Part No F4-3200C16D-16GVGB which are tested and known to work.

If you want to try faster at say 3600MHz you will have to manually set their SPD in Bios as there will not be an XMP or D.O.C.P Profile. There is no guarantee they will work at that frequency. You take a chance so make sure you can return them if they don't play fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: noaharc
Solution

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Both , The Mother board must have a chipset that supports OC RAM. Higher frequencies and size will be determined by the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which resides on the CPU.

Okay that makes sense, I did see the mb O.C. speeds. I'm not to sure about the IMC on the 5600x. Is it just figured out through trial and error ?

noaharc

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Here are the specs for 5600x. You will notice it supports up to 3200MHz memory frequency.
https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/5450881700/us

Choosing a higher than the official supported CPU frequency involves Manual input of Timings in Bios with no guarantees. They may default to 2666MHz and need DRAM timing control ajustements to make them work.
With OC RAM they are not plug and play so to speak.
Cool, I appreciate the info. Hope you have a good weekend!