Question Just installed a new motherboard and USB/ethernet ports not working

Jul 17, 2019
Hello! My new motherboard's USB & ethernet ports aren't working. When I am in the BIOS, my keyboard works and I'm able to look around. The second the computer turns on, all ports on the back of the computer stop working (besides graphics).

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus

CPU: i7 9700K

Jul 17, 2019
Did you do a new OS installation? Did you install the drivers that came with the motherboard (or the latest from the motherboard support website)?
I did not do a new OS installation. I turned the computer on and tried to install the drivers, but without any USB ports I can't check to see if it installed. Do you know a way around this?

kanewolf

Titan
A new motherboard usually requires a fresh OS install. That will give you the most stable system. I am guessing this is a Windows 7 OS you are trying to boot on a Z390 motherboard. The 300 series motherboards were designed for Windows 10. Do a fresh Windows 10 install, then install the drivers.

Jul 17, 2019
A new motherboard usually requires a fresh OS install. That will give you the most stable system. I am guessing this is a Windows 7 OS you are trying to boot on a Z390 motherboard. The 300 series motherboards were designed for Windows 10. Do a fresh Windows 10 install, then install the drivers.
Every time I try to install windows and load the disc, it still kills my USB ports and doesn't let me select anything. How can I install it without that? Should I connect it to another computer?

kanewolf

Titan
If you are trying to use XMP, reset the RAM speed to default. Run MEMTEST for 6 hours. Does it come back clean?
Do you have the latest BIOS?
Is your power supply good quality?
Did you get the Windows 10 directly from Microsoft downloads?

Lots of possibilities...

Jul 17, 2019
If you are trying to use XMP, reset the RAM speed to default. Run MEMTEST for 6 hours. Does it come back clean?
Do you have the latest BIOS?
Is your power supply good quality?
Did you get the Windows 10 directly from Microsoft downloads?

Lots of possibilities...

I'm not using XMP. The RAM sticks are brand new, but I'll put a MEMTEST on a boot drive.

My power supply is also brand new (750W).

I got the Windows 10 directly from Microsoft, they even did a logmein and put it on a flash drive to make sure.

Update:

I just bought a new SSD to test and it's still having the same issue. Could I have something connected incorrectly? I'm so confused right now.