[SOLVED] Just installed dual channel 8GB x2 DDR4 @ 3200 MHz, is this correct?

Oct 8, 2020
https://valid.x86.fr/wppq2y

The link above is all my specs. Its saying that its dual channel memory (corsair vengeance LPX btw), but the frequency is only 1497 MHz? Is this supposed to be like that? The 2 sticks are advertised for 3200 MHz. I don't know much about RAM. Also, please point out of anything else looks wrong - like the timings. I believe I installed it correctly onto my b450m-a motherboard (I just matched the color coded slots).

Solution
They appear to be running at 3000 (1500*2 DDR), double data rate / double pumped, meaning new data can start to transfer for processing before the last was finished. Like if Earth had two suns, one rising and another setting and light being the data. Programs can either report the speed of one sun (1500) or both. Programs like Cpuz usually the former and you just double it yourself because all DDR ram are doubled, it's just knowing how the program reports the metric.

As to why your ram isn't running at 3200 or 1600*2, is possibly it hasn't been set to that memory profile in the bios. Sometimes memory can have multiple XMP profiles. XMP profiles are embedded presets memory modules have for motherboard's to apply. What are the XMP...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
They appear to be running at 3000 (1500*2 DDR), double data rate / double pumped, meaning new data can start to transfer for processing before the last was finished. Like if Earth had two suns, one rising and another setting and light being the data. Programs can either report the speed of one sun (1500) or both. Programs like Cpuz usually the former and you just double it yourself because all DDR ram are doubled, it's just knowing how the program reports the metric.

As to why your ram isn't running at 3200 or 1600*2, is possibly it hasn't been set to that memory profile in the bios. Sometimes memory can have multiple XMP profiles. XMP profiles are embedded presets memory modules have for motherboard's to apply. What are the XMP profiles on offer in the bios?

Cpuz, under SPD tab, also shows memory profiles for the installed ram. Can ya post a screenshot of this tab and also memory tab please.

Solution
Oct 8, 2020

As to why your ram isn't running at 3200 or 1600*2, is possibly it hasn't been set to that memory profile in the bios. Sometimes memory can have multiple XMP profiles. XMP profiles are embedded presets memory modules have for motherboard's to apply. What are the XMP profiles on offer in the bios?

Cpuz, under SPD tab, also shows memory profiles for the installed ram. Can ya post a screenshot of this tab and also memory tab please.

I have my ram put in slots 2 and 4, here is the SPD tabs for each: View: https://imgur.com/etNWbNg
and View: https://imgur.com/vWp6M5m

Here is the memory tab: View: https://imgur.com/J3cT7D7

I assume I can change the profiles to a correct one, although not sure which I'd choose. And hopefully nothing will go wrong- like the ram bottlenecking anything or causing any sort of too much power/heat - no idea about this kind of thing though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's only one XMP profile, the last column in the timings table. Did you go into bios previously to set your ram as it is now by enabling and select DOCP profile? (DOCP is XMP equivalent, Asus doesn't pay Intel royalties to label it XMP). or did somebody else do it?

Trying to figure out why XMP set your ram to 3000 instead or this was done manually.

Oct 8, 2020
There's only one XMP profile, the last column in the timings table. Did you go into bios previously to set your ram as it is now by enabling and select DOCP profile? (DOCP is XMP equivalent, Asus doesn't pay Intel royalties to label it XMP). or did somebody else do it?

Trying to figure out why XMP set your ram to 3000 instead or this was done manually.

No, I did not touch anything in bios. This is a prebuilt, it came like this. So what do I do you think?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh ok, no problem. Check and see, write down memory settings in case there's a reason why the pre-built firm adjusted ram this way so you can revert back settings if DOCP doesn't work. You're looking (in bios) for whether memory is set to manual (DOCP not enabled), if it is set to manual, write down speed, timings and dram voltage. Memory timings be the 22, 21, 21, 50, 71 numbers, find where these are, be in advanced memory or a bios page labelled similarly.

Or take photos.

Afterwards, enable DOCP and set 3200 profile. Make sure dram voltage remains on 1.35v. save & exit.

Oct 8, 2020
XMP/DOCP is perfectly safe btw, no issue with over vaulting, power or heat. 3000+ ram requires 1.35v to run anyway. 1.2v for lower speeds. XMP just sets timings and volt to run faster ram.

Okay, thank you. I'm just worried since my GPU temp went up to 75 C during a game today. Some people said that doesn't seem normal. Fan+air flow is pretty decent in my room, so not sure. I also was watching a YT video just before and the video flashed with a green film over only part of it - it was like a green 'nightvision' box that would come and go. It went away and I couldn't see it happen again, just concerning...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong 75c, if it was 85c +, more so in the 90s, then there would be something to be concerned about. Ram wouldn't cause raise in gpu temps, not directly anyhow. There may be a relation in higher fps minimum as a result of faster memory allowing the gpu to do more but an extra 200MHz isn't going to be substantial.

Ya might want to give Msi Afterburner a shot and adjust your gpu's fan curve so the fans are spinning faster at a certain temp range.

Oct 8, 2020
Nothing wrong 75c, if it was 85c +, more so in the 90s, then there would be something to be concerned about. Ram wouldn't cause raise in gpu temps, not directly anyhow. There may be a relation in higher fps minimum as a result of faster memory allowing the gpu to do more but an extra 200MHz isn't going to be substantial.

Ya might want to give Msi Afterburner a shot and adjust your gpu's fan curve so the fans are spinning faster at a certain temp range.

I wouldn't mind doing this - I just don't want to mess anything up even with the fans - is there a way to do this and make sure I don't mess anything up?