just not enough

HeMan Shera

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Hello everyone Im glad I found this forum/
I have a Linksys AC1200 router inside my home and a Netgear N600 Wifi Range Extender in my detatched garage thats approximately 30 ft apart from corner to corner.
I have a PS4 a Alienware desktop and a Yamaha Receiver all hardwired (ethernet cable) from my Netgear range extender and in the house directly wired to the AC1200 is an Apple TV a Vizio Smart TV and the rest of my devices are{ wireless. 2 apple Ipads a alienware laptop, Dell Desktop, 2 Android smart phones, and a Galaxy Tablet and a Imac 27 retina display} + 2 turntables and a microphone. < ok omit the last I was just getting carried away.
OK my question is that my garage network thats behind the Netgear Range extender gets a decent signal but not super speeds probably because of the deterioration of signal from the house Linksys router and TWC modem due to distance. I am thinking about running a cat5 cable from the house to the garage this weekend which i have needed to do since day one to see it I will get better speeds. I game alot watch Netflix and stream media to and from the house to the garage.The signal quality from my house network named g1nsu is 50 -52 average and my extended range signal is average 80. I want to either run the ethernet cable from the house directly to the playstation 4 in the garage or if possible can i run a ethernet cable to my Netgear range extender and use it as a "hub" for the other devices in the garage? if i can connect the range extender via ethernet cable from the house router linksys then i could use the existing cable connections to the devices and not use wifi at all?
recommendations or solutions greatly appreciated I have maybe above average network knowledge but not much more not familiar with bridges ect ect.
Do i need another device to replace the range extender or can it be used for what im trying to accomplish?

Ralston18

Titan
Should be okay to do that. I.e., Linksys -----ethernet------> NetGear -------ethernet(s)-----> to other wired garage devices.

Here is the User Manual for the Netgear:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RPV2/WN2500RPv2_UM_28May2014.pdf

Use both the Linksys and Netgear Manuals to "design" your plan and pre-configure as necessary. Keep track of your configuration so it will be easy to figure out what change(s) may be necessary if a glitch develops.

Use a good quality ethernet cable 5e or 6 even. "Good" of course being relative:known brand, all copper, returnable if there is a bad connector....

Plan out your connectivity and IP addressing in advance. Should not have to change much if anything. Maybe extend the allowed DHCP range and/or number of devices allowed.... May or may not be necessary unless additional devices are actually being added.

Only the Linksys should be assigning IP addresses (DHCP) which is most likely the current configuration anyway.

Suggest some before and after "speed tests" just to baseline and document your network performance. Have fun.