[SOLVED] Just upgraded my GPU - any advantages to keeping the old one slotted in too?

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
So I had a GTX 980 which I used for gaming and it died a quick and painful death.

I was temporarily using a Quadro K4000 to make sure that it was just the card that died and it was working fine.

I just upgraded to the 1660 Super and I'm wondering if there's any value to keeping the K4000 installed? I know it won't work in SLI but I'm wondering there's any advantage to keeping it around :)

Thanks!

Solution
I am going to assume your main use is games ?
if So keeping the 2nd card will only increase your thermals as it hinders airflow and thus increases your chances of Thermal Throttling your main GPU while gaming and decreasing your Frames per second in games

Edit: Also worth noting , Why did your 980 die ? and do you have a good quality PSU ?

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
I am going to assume your main use is games ?
if So keeping the 2nd card will only increase your thermals as it hinders airflow and thus increases your chances of Thermal Throttling your main GPU while gaming and decreasing your Frames per second in games

Edit: Also worth noting , Why did your 980 die ? and do you have a good quality PSU ?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS