k6 2 and graphics cards...

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
simple little thing really... have a voodoo 3 3500 in with a k6 2, its got an agp slot, so i can have and use agp cards, but wondering what ones might be best for this computer?
thinking of an mx card, but dont want to over power the computer too much.. had a friend with a k6 2 450 with a voodoo 5 5500 card and it went like a rocket... any sugguestions?
thanks always !!

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It might work with the MX400, anything that draws more power than that probably won't work. I suggest the original Radeon LE (NOT VE), because it has the same FPS plus extra features, and can be modified to retail spec, and cost $40.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
thanks for that mate !!
i live in england so will it be a bit of a pain getting one from over here? would the voodoo 5 5500 that my friend has be to powerfull for it? it seemed to work fine with his..
not to worry !
thanks again!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have a Voodoo4 on my old overclocked K6-2 450 system. It not too bad on older games.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
if there any particular graphics cards to go for then?
i know a geforce 4 or even a 3 ti 200 will be too much for the little thing, so anything up to a geforce 2 mx would be ok??
cheap and good cards, had two myself !! any particular makes or just any random one ???
thanks for the help guys !!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a power issue. I doubt your board would work properly with even the TNT2 Ultra, too much power draw. The GeForce 256 is even worse. But the MX400 sits on a smaller die process, allowing it to use less power. I don't think anything newer than that would work either, do to power issues. I'm not even totally sure the MX400 would work, but fairly confident it will. The GTS might work. Anything newer (GeForce3, etc) runs into the same power constraints.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?