Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I had my system running with 1536mb of ram. The computer ran great. I was running one game and it locks up. And I have a virtual Momory error. How should I set the computer to run right. This seems to be a windows error.

Why so much ram well I like to have stuff running in the back ground. Like Mp3 when I m playing a game. and RogerWillcall I think it called so I can talk to my team mates so that three things running that can slow the computer down some.

sturm

Splendid
what is ur virtual memory set at. is windows setting it or did u set it. it sounds like u have it set too low. set the min and max to 384 mg. even though u have 1.5 gig of memory u still need virtual memory for windows to run correctly. hope this helps

thelastguardian

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
i think its the windows design problem i saw this problem in the microsoft support page. the problem is windows doesnt handle large mem well

I know what you did last summer when you install amd, and now its time for punishment!! -Intel

G

The name of the voice communication program is Roger Wilco.

RE: your problem, I've heard that Windows doesn't like dealing with a lot of memory in the system so I imagine that's the problem. As for a solution, take out 512 mb of that RAM and see if everything runs better. Unless you're running a network server there's really no need for that much memory at this time anyway -- depending on your setup you probably won't notice a difference between 512 mb and 1536 mb.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I up the Virual Memory 1024 to 6,000 split in three drives. Ok trying at 384 Games seem to lockup even before the game starts. Windows insideout. Say it should be twice the size of the memory. so at 3000 would be the lowest. But the game seems to play for 2 to 5 mins and then lock up.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
First off do not set it to two times the total memory. That is a thing of the past when systems only had 32MB of memory. I assume you are useing WIN98 or 98SE? The newer versions of WIN fixed this problem. I suggest makeing a semi perminent swap file in the virtual file settings. Set you minimum to about 200MB and have no Maximum. Some good reading for you can be found here http://www.frugalsworld.com/tweaking/tweak.shtml

Just check it out... im sure you will have a better understanding of how the Virtual memory, VCache, and swap files work.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.