K8N-E Deluxe-->A8N Motherboard

00maxse

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I'm thinking about making the switch to an A8N motherboard, so that I can have PCI-E and upgrade my CPU.
If I do this, can I just connect my Seagate HD to the new mobo and have it run normally? I don't have to reformat or anything do I? I have XP Pro SP2.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Wait on the upgrade

AMD is going to come out with a new socket and procs soon.

when you do upgrade you will have to to whats called a repair install. this will take all the windows system files and delete them, while still leaving your non windows files intact.

its pretty easy and it takes about as long as a normal install of windows.

00maxse

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Thank you for replying.

I know about the new socket coming out, but I'm not going to wait for it. It will be expensive I'm sure.

When I do the repair install, all of my games, pictures, anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc will still be there right?

Just want to make sure.

Thanks again! :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Thank you for replying.

I know about the new socket coming out, but I'm not going to wait for it. It will be expensive I'm sure.

When I do the repair install, all of my games, pictures, anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc will still be there right?

Just want to make sure.

Thanks again! :D

Definitely back everything up before doing the repair install preferrably to another Disk or partition your current Disk and put everything execpt programs on the newly created drive. Partition Magic is a good program for partitioning your current drive but what it's likely to cost, you can probably get a 2nd 80GB hard drive.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
you should wait.

the price point wont be much different from what it is now but if your itching to upgrade by all means go for it.

yes back up your data. it a very good idea. if you have never done a repair install before you have a greater chance that you will format your HD.

if you complete a repair install properly all you files and programs will still be there. the only thing that will be deleted is the window OS related files.

linux_0

Splendid
Definitely backup, backup and backup. Then after you are done backing up backup some more.

In some cases going from one motherboard to another can cause serious problems.

I had XP freak out and started giving me stop errors and was refusing to boot after a motherboard upgrade. When I put it the old motherboard back it was still giving me stop errors and refused to work. In the end I had to reinstall.

Linux didn't care one bit it JUST WORKED!

Go figure.........

Don't wait for AM2 by the way. Buy a 939 + nForce4 now. You can always upgrade later if you need to.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Ah Linux

i love linux, best damn os i have used. other than OSX. but im not going to get into that. : )

that whole linux not having a problem with the change just goes to show you that Windows is the crapiest OS on the planet.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
but what came first linux or the mac os?

thats the question.

i tend to think it was the mac os but im not 100% sure. the release dates are so damn cloase its hard to tell