K8T Neo2 motherboard help please

My system has a MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard with an AMD 64, 3000+ CPU and PQI
PC3200 Turbo Dual Channel memory (2) 512K sticks. For some reason the
motherboard will not work correctly in dual channel. The memory timings are
2-2-2-5. I have tried running in dual channel by using either slots 1 & 3 or
2 & 4 as instructed by MSI. When I run in dual channel the system will run
for a while and then will either lock-up or suddenly reboot. This never
happens when I install the ram as single channel in slots 1 & 2. When I do
attempt to run in dual channel I notice on the screen during boot up the
DRAMCLOCK is listed at 400MHz. But when I run the memory in single channel
it indicates 333MHz. I have the bio set at 400 MHz. Any suggestions to get
my memory working correctly in dual channel? And why will it not run at 400
MHz in single channel? Thanks a million.

Eddie

--
remove "no-spam" for email replies

On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:46:48 -0400, "Eddie E"
<ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

>My system has a MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard with an AMD 64, 3000+ CPU and PQI
>PC3200 Turbo Dual Channel memory (2) 512K sticks. For some reason the
>motherboard will not work correctly in dual channel. The memory timings are
>2-2-2-5. I have tried running in dual channel by using either slots 1 & 3 or
>2 & 4 as instructed by MSI. When I run in dual channel the system will run
>for a while and then will either lock-up or suddenly reboot. This never
>happens when I install the ram as single channel in slots 1 & 2. When I do
>attempt to run in dual channel I notice on the screen during boot up the
>DRAMCLOCK is listed at 400MHz. But when I run the memory in single channel
>it indicates 333MHz. I have the bio set at 400 MHz. Any suggestions to get
>my memory working correctly in dual channel? And why will it not run at 400
>MHz in single channel? Thanks a million.

Dual channel on this board = slots 1 and 2. It sounds like you're
trying to match the colors to get dual channel, and although that's
logical it's also wrong. ;-)

The chart listed here:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607
may help.

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:46:48 -0400, "Eddie E"
> <ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Dual channel on this board = slots 1 and 2. It sounds like you're
> trying to match the colors to get dual channel, and although that's
> logical it's also wrong. ;-)
>
> The chart listed here:
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607
> may help.

Thanks for the reply Folk. The link you have is for the K8N. I have a K8T.
The memory slots are set-up differently. In the K8T the matching colors are
side by side and not alternating. See link
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=608
I know when the memory is in Dual or single channel because it's indicated
during boot-up. You use slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 on the K8T for dual channel and
slots 1 & 2 for single channel.Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Eddie

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:55:37 -0400, "Eddie E"
<ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:46:48 -0400, "Eddie E"
>> <ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dual channel on this board = slots 1 and 2. It sounds like you're
>> trying to match the colors to get dual channel, and although that's
>> logical it's also wrong. ;-)
>>
>> The chart listed here:
>> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607
>> may help.
>

>Thanks for the reply Folk. The link you have is for the K8N. I have a K8T.
>The memory slots are set-up differently. In the K8T the matching colors are
>side by side and not alternating. See link
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=608
>I know when the memory is in Dual or single channel because it's indicated
>during boot-up. You use slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 on the K8T for dual channel and
>slots 1 & 2 for single channel.Any other suggestions? Thanks again.
>
>Eddie

Actually, you can only use slots 2 & 4 OR 1,2,3 & 4 for dual channel.
Slots 1 & 3 are not supported for dual. And for some strange reason
MSI only recommends slot 2 for single channel. Strange. That is
probably why when you use 1&2 it only runs at 333. Do you have another
brand of memory you could try? Sometimes it makes a difference. I have
a KT6 Delta that had crashing problems with Mushkin Blue matched
memory (2 x 512), but runs terriffic with Corsair Value Select (2 x
512). The Mushkin runs great in a SOYO board. Go figure.

HTH
Gollum

> Actually, you can only use slots 2 & 4 OR 1,2,3 & 4 for dual channel.
> Slots 1 & 3 are not supported for dual. And for some strange reason
> MSI only recommends slot 2 for single channel. Strange. That is
> probably why when you use 1&2 it only runs at 333. Do you have another
> brand of memory you could try? Sometimes it makes a difference. I have
> a KT6 Delta that had crashing problems with Mushkin Blue matched
> memory (2 x 512), but runs terriffic with Corsair Value Select (2 x
> 512). The Mushkin runs great in a SOYO board. Go figure.
>
> HTH
> Gollum

Looking at the MSI website you are correct but that must be updated
information. It clearly states in my user's guide that either slots 1 & 3 or
2 & 4 can be used for dual channel. Besides I have tried both ways with the
exact same results. It may be a memory issue. I don't have another matched
pair to try out. I may just have to buy different memory and try that.
Thanks Gollum.

Eddie

On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:55:37 -0400, "Eddie E"
<ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:46:48 -0400, "Eddie E"
>> <ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dual channel on this board = slots 1 and 2. It sounds like you're
>> trying to match the colors to get dual channel, and although that's
>> logical it's also wrong. ;-)
>>
>> The chart listed here:
>> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607
>> may help.
>

>Thanks for the reply Folk. The link you have is for the K8N. I have a K8T.

Damn. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I could blame MSI for coming up with such similar model names.
:p

Folk wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:55:37 -0400, "Eddie E"
> <ehicks_no-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

>>Thanks for the reply Folk. The link you have is for the K8N. I have a K8T.
>

> Damn. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I guess I could blame MSI for coming up with such similar model names.

The same with Asus... K8 denotes the CPU, N denotes Nforce (chip), T
(or V) denotes VIA chip...

Roy

Hi,

Eddie E schrieb:
> My system has a MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard with an AMD 64, 3000+ CPU and PQI
> PC3200 Turbo Dual Channel memory (2) 512K sticks. For some reason the
> motherboard will not work correctly in dual channel.

What type of CPU do you run? With the brand new Venice and San Diego
cores there is a problem with that board. It needs a BIOS update to get
that fixed. Up to now, there is no official version that explicitly
supports these CPUs, but some beta versions can already be found on the
web.

Michael

Michael Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Eddie E schrieb:
>
>>My system has a MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard with an AMD 64, 3000+ CPU and PQI
>>PC3200 Turbo Dual Channel memory (2) 512K sticks. For some reason the
>>motherboard will not work correctly in dual channel.
>

> What type of CPU do you run? With the brand new Venice and San Diego
> cores there is a problem with that board. It needs a BIOS update to get
> that fixed. Up to now, there is no official version that explicitly
> supports these CPUs, but some beta versions can already be found on the
> web.
>
> Michael

I just flashed my K8T Neo2-F with this bios and dual channel is now
working great with 3000+ Venice :) I suppose this is the beta that
Michael is talking about.

link to the bios:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=608&kind=1

On the other hand, I am having trouble with my Club 3D radeon 9800 Pro
and the motherboard. Had the problem before the bios flash but it got
worse after the flash. Running the card at 8X AGP causes lockups in
games where the screen goes black and the sounds stop after a while.
Fortunately the above mentioned bios enabled 4X AGP setting in bios
instead of just greyed out "Automatic". At 4X the card seems to work
fine but I am wondering whether there is something I could do to make 8X
work with this mobo. Anyone have any idea?

PK

TRENDING THREADS