[SOLVED] Keeping Graphics card, Upgrading system. Help, my brains going to explode with all the options!

Nov 28, 2019
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this.

So.
Shes getting old, my machine, beginning to show her age. I was playing FFXV today and, oof things were dropping down to 3 fps at times. I spent a reasonable amount of money, maybe four years ago, So id like to keep using what I can, and essentially cheaply upgrade my bottle necks while leaving room for future upgrades.

As for what I have, (apologies If I cant find links, a lot of the things have stopped being made)
gtx970 Planing to keep this. I dont tend to run games on ultra graphics. Moderate to good at a decent fps keeps me happy.
This Tower https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...er-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011050-WW#tab-tech-specs
650 watt power supply
Corsair Cpu Liquid Cooling.
2x8Gbddr4
And a motherboard and cpu I am fairly sure need replacing.

So as for what I need help with,
A motherboard that will fit in my rig.
That is compatible with the gtx 970
That wont demand so much power when combined with the 970 that I need a new power supply
That is reasonably future proof.

A new CPU, that will work with this motherboard. Looking for value for money + reliability here, 100-200 range, maybe I could be convinced to pay more if its CLEARLY worth the price.

I dont care about overclocking, (though I will if its easy and I don't need to think about it) i don't care about running two graphics cards

If you have any ideas or even just places to start, it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
Ryzen 5 3600 + any decent motherboard based on B450 chipset (you can use microATX or normal ATX board, both will fit in your case) + 16GB of DDR4 3200 memory would fit the bill perfectly in your case.
Truth be told, your sudden FPS drops are indicator that you might have CPU cooling issues, and that it results in throttling. Before buying anything else, check if CPU fan is spinning at all, and if so clean the CPU cooler from dust. And the entire inerior of the case while you're at it. You might even remove the cooler and replace the thermal paste, but only if just cleaning does not help.

P.S. An exact model of motherboard and CPU would help a lot.

Nov 28, 2019
What's the old cpu/motherboard?
If old board uses DDR4 ram, then it's pretty modern and probably you don't need to replace it.

Also - what's the model name of PSU ? If it's some low quality unit, then this probably needs replacing.
No my current motherboard does not support ddr4. Its a recent purchase, as in yesterday. Im not sure its relavant, but my processor is an i5, 4590 3.3 ghz quad core, and my motherboard gigabyte ga h81m s2h, but as i said i plan to replace them both.

AS to my PSU, its a CORSAIR VS650.