Question Keyboard Keys Jitter When Playing Certain Games, etc.

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Hi, everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but hopefully the mods can sort that out.
I have a strange issue where certain keys on my keyboard become "jittery" when playing World of Tanks. I only notice a few keys doing this such as A, W, Left Shift & Ctrl, etc. It only happens on my desktop. When I play World of Tanks on my laptop with this keyboard, it doesn't have this problem.
I tried other old keyboards I have lying around and one gives the problem for many more keys (marking each key press as a double or triple press) and not only in World of Tanks (this keyboard also works perfectly fine with my laptop though). I even tried a PS/2 keyboard, and that one works fine, but the only problem is that one "column" of keys don't seem to work at all: ESC, 1, Q, A, Z, etc. My laptop doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I can't test this out in it.
I thought maybe updating my BIOS or Windows, installing the latest drivers, etc. would help, but it doesn't.
Another strange thing is that I only have this problem playing World of Tanks, not other games I play (though admittedly most games I play are older: Skryim IV, FIFA 14, Anno 1404, etc., but all these I haven't yet had any problems playing these at high settings). As far as World of Tanks is concerned, it seems to be less of a problem, the lower I put my settings. My monitor is 1600x900, so it's not even 1080p and still it gives the problems when my settings are on low. I can play with low settings at 1600x900 just fine on my laptop (with Ryzen 7 5700U and no discrete GPU, but not built for gaming by any means with sub-par cooling). On both I'm playing World of Tanks with the SD client.

My PC build:
MSI B450M PRO VDH
Ryzen 3 1200
RX 550
2 x 4 GB Patriot Signature DDR4 RAM 2400 MHz
XFX TS 550 (Bronze)
Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD

I also have a 1 TB 3.5" HDD and a DVD drive.

I'm sorry if this is a bit of jumble, but I'm a bit confused at this point, wondering what the problem could be.
Thanks for any help, tips, ideas or advice you can offer. I appreciate it.

Lutfij

Titan
Could you check back with a couple of things;
1| BIOS version at this moment of time
2| If you're on Windows 10, what version( not edition) are you on
3| Use Crucial's app to see if your SSD has any firmware updates pending
4| When you see the jitters or multiple keypresses happening, what sort of ping do you see with your ISP
?

As for your drivers, since you're on Windows, try manually reinstalling your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Just an FYI, your platform could use a ram upgrade, notably a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit to get the most out of your platform.

Last edited:

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
  1. E7A38AMS.BF1
  2. 21H2
  3. I can't connect with Crucial's app for some reason. I don't know what's the issue there as I made an exception for it in the firewall. In any case, I believe the firmware is up to date as it's the same as the recommended one on the site, unless I'm completely misreading it somehow.
  4. I haven't noticed unusual ping, but I haven't checked much.

I made sure all the drivers were up to date, and reinstalled them. I actually had one point where the screen turned to funny colours, which was a bit worrying and I had to power it off with the power button.
I tried connecting to a TV, but the keyboard completely freaked out even when the resolution was only at 768p and I was just typing in a Word document.
I tried again in World of Tanks and it has the same issue.
In Skyrim IV, I put the video settings at 900p and noticed that there was slight disturbance, but not as bad as World of Tanks and as soon as I get into a Word document, the keyboard works fine. However, when I'm playing World of Tanks and then switch to a Word document, the keyboard is all over the place.
I noticed some artifacts on the screen or a little "jitter" as I'd call it, but they go away as soon as I close the game.