[SOLVED] Keyboard, monitor and mouse randomly turning off ?

May 15, 2021
Hello, I need support for a PC issue that's driving me insane.

I made my PC in October 2020, and it ran without problems until last week (since now, I only experienced a BSOD caused by a wrong overclock, which I fixed soon after by removing the OC).
Now I am experiencing a weird issue: one day, out of nowhere, my keyboard started to misfunction for few seconds, a couple of times during the day.

The intensity increased and as you can see in the video (link at the bottom), few days later suddenly my keyboard turned off (the RGB lights are off and it doesn't work at all, even if the device management says it's plugged in) and soon after, the monitor started to go black intermittently for few seconds, degenerating into a definitive black screen (but the monitor is still on when this happens). Also, the mouse started stuttering and losing its smoothness on the screen (when it wasn't black).

In other words, it started lightly and then degenerated, making my PC unusable.
I took it to the assistance and tried RAM test, CPU and GPU stress test that went PERFECTLY, so it's not something about them. The problem happens randomly during the days: some days it doesn't appear at all, some days the pc is unusable. Also, it happens even if I'm not playing anything, just by watching video on youtube, for example.

Things that might be important or not:
  • The issue started after downloading No Man's Sky from steam, and most of times it happened while playing it, even if that is not a necessary condition for the problem to appear;
  • I tried my pc at the assistance and at my girlfriend's house, and the problem didn't show off at all;
  • Everytime it happens, Windows doesn't detect ANY problem at all, not hardware nor software;
  • All components are new, and worked fine until last week. Here's the list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MOBO: B450M DS3H-CF , BIOS version: F50
RAM 16GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
PSU: EVGA 600BR (600W)
OS (W10 Home) installed on SSD 500GB

Here's the video: View: https://imgur.com/hC5F8gp

If you have any possible solution or any suggestion on what to do, please let me know.
Thanks.

EDIT (17/05/21) - Problem appeared again even after resetting the CMOS while playing No Man's Sky. It also appened after playing Rocket League for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Solution
I already tested the RAM, and I also tried changing the sleep mode settings. Nothing changed.
I ordered another PSU (a better one this time) and I will test it this week, to see if the problem is actually caused by the power supply.
Okay, one more thing to try if you want. Completely shut down the pc, turn off the psu remove cable from wall outlet. Ground yourself by touching a metal part of the pc case. Take out the ram and cpu. Power back on you pc and listen for any beep codes.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Hello, I need support for a PC issue that's driving me insane.

I made my PC in October 2020, and it ran without problems until last week (since now, I only experienced a BSOD caused by a wrong overclock, which I fixed soon after by removing the OC).
Now I am experiencing a weird issue: one day, out of nowhere, my keyboard started to misfunction for few seconds, a couple of times during the day.

The intensity increased and as you can see in the video (link at the bottom), few days later suddenly my keyboard turned off (the RGB lights are off and it doesn't work at all, even if the device management says it's plugged in) and soon after, the monitor started to go black intermittently for few seconds, degenerating into a definitive black screen (but the monitor is still on when this happens). Also, the mouse started stuttering and losing its smoothness on the screen (when it wasn't black).

In other words, it started lightly and then degenerated, making my PC unusable.
I took it to the assistance and tried RAM test, CPU and GPU stress test that went PERFECTLY, so it's not something about them. The problem happens randomly during the days: some days it doesn't appear at all, some days the pc is unusable. Also, it happens even if I'm not playing anything, just by watching video on youtube, for example.

Things that might be important or not:
  • The issue started after downloading No Man's Sky from steam, and most of times it happened while playing it, even if that is not a necessary condition for the problem to appear;
  • I tried my pc at the assistance and at my girlfriend's house, and the problem didn't show off at all;
  • Everytime it happens, Windows doesn't detect ANY problem at all, not hardware nor software;
  • All components are new, and worked fine until last week. Here's the list:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MOBO: B450M DS3H-CF , BIOS version: F50
RAM 16GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
PSU: EVGA 600BR (600W)
OS (W10 Home) installed on SSD 500GB

Here's the video: View: https://imgur.com/hC5F8gp

If you have any possible solution or any suggestion on what to do, please let me know.
Thanks.
Did you reset the cmos?

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Just tested today after resetting the CMOS: it happened again a couple of times (monitor turned off for a second two times) while playing No Man's Sky, in the very first minutes of playing.
Any other suggestion...?
Did you try a different outlet/ powerstrip?If the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the back off of your pc trying moving them to the front or vice versa.

May 15, 2021
Try changing your power/sleep mode settings. Test the ram by removing one stick or the other, play a game see if you have an issue.
I already tested the RAM, and I also tried changing the sleep mode settings. Nothing changed.
I ordered another PSU (a better one this time) and I will test it this week, to see if the problem is actually caused by the power supply.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Okay, one more thing to try if you want. Completely shut down the pc, turn off the psu remove cable from wall outlet. Ground yourself by touching a metal part of the pc case. Take out the ram and cpu. Power back on you pc and listen for any beep codes.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS