ConcernedCow

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I built my friends PC a few months back (ive built a good amount of pcs so everything is correct) however his keyboard will not respond. he had an old keyboard that I gave him so I went over and gave him another keyboard, a razer black widow ultimate. that worked for about 5 days and that one wont respond or even light up. so I went back over and gave him his old keyboard last night and it worked. now today neither is working. also I should note the old keyboard (just a cheap no name brand) lights up while the razer wont even do that. All his usb ports are fine physically and if you plug the mouse in any of them it works, if you try to charge a phone it works. if i take both of the keyboards and plug them into my pc they work. tried uninstalling razer software and reinstalled it. unplugged everythingand uninstalled all HID under device manager and plugged them back in with restarts in between. im actually confused. One thing though, I was following steps on razer website to uninstall synapse because you have to delete hidden files in program data it said to turn off firewall. well I forgot to turn that back on and he got in discord and asked if he should turn that back on and i said yeah. about a minuet after he turned it on the keyboard cut off. he tried turning it back off and restarting and it didnt work. someone help

His specs: Mobo: MSI gaming x370
CPU: R7 1800x
Gpu: Gtx 1070
Psu: EVGA 800 watt gold plus
Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament edition
Keyboard: Some no name keyboard (Original) and Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2016
Ram: Gskill 3200 RGB
im about to go over and reset his CMOs to see if that does anything but if anyone has any ideas please help!

ConcernedCow

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
If this is Win10, Try Turning off USB Selective Suspend in Advanced Power Settings.
Well this is weird... he doesnt have a disc drive so i brought mine to reinstall windows. He had 1 free sata power cable. His case doesnt have a slot for a disc drive so i set it on a box but the free sata power cord wasnt long enough so I unplugged the one that was in use and plugged the other in. Basically swapping them cause you know how some sata power cables have multiple plugs on one cord? Well i did this yo gain some length so the disc drive would lay flat on the box so it wouldn’t scratch the disc. well now i just turned his pc on and the keyboard works... now idk if i should do what you said or still do a fresh win install or leave it alone