Question Keyboard suddenly turning off and on, can I save it?

yuty89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2017
I would like to preface this post by saying I REALLY do not want to buy a new keyboard as no current keyboard feels as right as this one. My keyboard is the "razer deathstalker chroma V1 (2015)".

For the past few months I have been dealing with my keyboard slowly dying. I know it's the keyboard that is the issue, it's not the port or PC. I can tell when my keyboard is turning off as the LED back lighting will turn off and will not accept any input; after a second, input will work again but LED may or may not come back. I'm fairly certain that movement is what makes it flicker. This keyboard is moved between my lap and a speaker (just a place to put it until I put it back onto my lap), and about 90% of the time it will flicker while transition places. The keyboard will also flicker randomly while being used, it is becoming more sensitive to smaller movement and vibrations as time goes on.

I have skills to de/solder and am willing to put money into this keyboard to get more years out of it. Any help on repairing this would be very appreciated!

I will take keyboard recommendations, but I am very specific (I have found no replacement like my current keyboard). What I want in my keyboard: Low profile, back light, full keyboard (numpad), built-in wrist rest, membrane or soft switches.

I know it's the keyboard that is the issue, it's not the port or PC
so you have tried different USB ports in different locations?

it can also always be the keyboard's port and/or cable.
if possible, try a different cable.
if not, you can try your hand at replacing a built-in cable. but, if you're not a pro at this it can always lead to permanent damage beyond what you're currently facing.

This certainly sounds a lot like a cable/connection related issue and since it looks like the cable isn't removable I'm guessing that's the source of your issue. If you really like that specific keyboard it might be worth looking for a used one you could use for parts.

yuty89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2017
@JohnBonhamsGhost
I actually bought a usb-c port to install into it, swap out the hard wired cable for something I can easily plug in/out of my keyboard. I only didn't install it because I didn't want to put in the effort for a dead keyboard, but if this COULD fix it, then I'll try it out.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

yuty89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2017
@thestryker
You said this and so I wanted to test wiggling the connection point where the cable enters into the keyboard, and it immediately flickered. Thank you for your response, I was planning on adding a usb-c detachable cable before it started to die, guess I have even more of a reason to add it!