Question Keyboard typing delayed under windows 10 apps/programs

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
This has been stressing me up for such a long time now. I am usually trying to type fast (my speed is only like 74 wpm). But windows won't allow me to do that because it some sort of delays my typing when I am trying to type fast in the programs I use under windows (chrome, discord, visual studio code).

When I type in the CMD, my typing is really smooth and there is not a slight delay. That's how it should be. Same goes for "renaming files or folders".

I have not seen any thread like this one before.. idk..

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
This has been stressing me up for such a long time now. I am usually trying to type fast (my speed is only like 74 wpm). But windows won't allow me to do that because it some sort of delays my typing when I am trying to type fast in the programs I use under windows (chrome, discord, visual studio code).

When I type in the CMD, my typing is really smooth and there is not a slight delay. That's how it should be. Same goes for "renaming files or folders".

I have not seen any thread like this one before.. idk..

Specs:
GPU: MSI RX 480 8gb
CPU: ryzen 7 1800x
Mainboard: Asus Rog strix x370-f gaming
Ram: 16gb 3200mhz

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I remember seeing something like this somewhere but I forget what the fix was (or if there was one)... but try this:

in control panel -> system -> advanced system settings, in the advanced tab, click settings under "Performance" and select "Adjust for best performance", hit apply and close

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
I remember seeing something like this somewhere but I forget what the fix was (or if there was one)... but try this:

in control panel -> system -> advanced system settings, in the advanced tab, click settings under "Performance" and select "Adjust for best performance", hit apply and close

Didn't fix it sadly. Thank you for your reply tho, Every help is helpful

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Apparently some folks have had results fixing keyboard lag similar to what you're experiencing by running the following command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

not sure how dism image cleanup would remedy that but worth a try

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Everything is worth a try. Thank you so much for helping. Sadly it didn't help. Discord seems like to have the worst delay out of all. Typing in the url bar in chrome feels better than discord but feels worse than the CMD. Also typing in here (in this little reply box) is as delayed as the discord delay.

Keep shooting stuff at me, I take every help. Thank you so much

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager and Resource monitor to determine what all is running on your system and what resources are being consumed accordingly. Use just one at a time - not both together.

Do some typing and watch what happens.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 version.

Make and model keyboard? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

In addition to the DISM command previously mentioned try "sfc /scannow" as well.

SlimE_1

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Look in Task Manager and Resource monitor to determine what all is running on your system and what resources are being consumed accordingly. Use just one at a time - not both together.

Do some typing and watch what happens.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 version.

Make and model keyboard? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

In addition to the DISM command previously mentioned try "sfc /scannow" as well.
I think it might be related to Graphics. My gpu has poor results on the Heaven Benchmark. It scores up to 3k points lower than people who have the same gpu as me

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with that benchmark. Plus even if you are using the same GPU as other people there are other factors that make everyone's system different.

What did you see in Task Manager and Resource Monitor?

Once you get a sense of your computer's current performance try removing or otherwise disabling any apps that you do not need.

Determine if one or more apps (E.g., Discord, Chrome, etc.) are grabbing too much of one resource or another.

Oct 4, 2019
Possibly a display driver problem.

I had the same problem on a W10 1903 Office365 fully patched HP Laptop. After all suggestions I found that in the hardware list, 2 display adapters were listed Intel UHD Graphics 620 in error state and NVIDIA Geforce 930MX (correct state).
Removed the Intel UHD Graphics 620 and downloaded the latest driver for the NVIDIA.
After that the INTEL driver reappeared in wrong state. Updated this driver as well, and the typeing problem was solved.
Could be other display driver in your case, but have a look there.