[SOLVED] Killed a 2nd PSU swapping components

seomid

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
Hi there,
excuse my poor english,

I've managed to kill my second PSU this year by swapping the components.
Was swapping from i5 4460/random mobo to i7 4770k/msi z87 and my aerocool gt700s aparently died (after pressing the power button the pc went on for 2 secounds and shut off, this in an infinite loop), went for a seasonic s12ii 620w and it worked. Today i finally got my hands on a r5 3600/asus rog b450 f gaming and swapped my old components out for these. Turned on the PC, started stresstesting. 2 minutes in the PSU started smoking so i've turned off the pc and removed the psu from the pc, for safety reasons.
What a i doing wrong? this is the standard process for me. Turn off PC. Switch psu to 0. Pull the PSU from electricity. Then disconnect all mobo/gpu cables. Swap the components, then reconnect all the mobo/gpu cables. Connect PSU to electricity. Switch PSU to 1. Turn on PC.
Im not using any forms of esd safety, never thought this would be necessary. PC is laying on a wooden table, im standing on wooden floor.
While i'll agree neither one of those PSUs was a good unit, i didn't face any issues other than those. I also would tend to think a semi okayish PSU should survive a component swap. Im running a gtx 1080 (180w tdp) and a 65-100(4770k slight oc)w CPU, totalling way under 300w. + 3 sata ssds, some rgb stuff and thats it. No real stress on the PSU, from what i know, but what do I know apparently...
Any ideas? I used to think i know stuff about PCs but slowly i'm starting to realize my lacking knowledge..

By the way.. any good PSU recommendations under 70€(80ish$)? forced smiling

EDIT: i just realized a heard a pretty loud single knock from the PC today, was a first for me. Any correlation?

Solution
sad to hear about the seasonic s12ii 620w, I still have one in my old i5-2500k/R9-390 build but not sure I would use one in a newer build since they are the older group-regulated type (latency in PSU response is a thing lol)

not sure exactly where you are looking to buy I did see a SilverStone ET550-G for under €70 shipped, thats not too bad of a deal...
Hi there,
excuse my poor english,

I've managed to kill my second PSU this year by swapping the components.
Was swapping from i5 4460/random mobo to i7 4770k/msi z87 and my aerocool gt700s aparently died (after pressing the power button the pc went on for 2 secounds and shut off, this in an infinite loop), went for a seasonic s12ii 620w and it worked. Today i finally got my hands on a r5 3600/asus rog b450 f gaming and swapped my old components out for these. Turned on the PC, started stresstesting. 2 minutes in the PSU started smoking so i've turned off the pc and removed the psu from the pc, for safety reasons.
What a i doing wrong? this is the standard process for me. Turn off PC. Switch psu to 0. Pull the PSU from electricity. Then disconnect all mobo/gpu cables. Swap the components, then reconnect all the mobo/gpu cables. Connect PSU to electricity. Switch PSU to 1. Turn on PC.
Im not using any forms of esd safety, never thought this would be necessary. PC is laying on a wooden table, im standing on wooden floor.
While i'll agree neither one of those PSUs was a good unit, i didn't face any issues other than those. I also would tend to think a semi okayish PSU should survive a component swap. Im running a gtx 1080 (180w tdp) and a 65-100(4770k slight oc)w CPU, totalling way under 300w. + 3 sata ssds, some rgb stuff and thats it. No real stress on the PSU, from what i know, but what do I know apparently...
Any ideas? I used to think i know stuff about PCs but slowly i'm starting to realize my lacking knowledge..

By the way.. any good PSU recommendations under 70€(80ish$)? forced smiling

EDIT: i just realized a heard a pretty loud single knock from the PC today, was a first for me. Any correlation?
Blew a capacitor in the psu

sad to hear about the seasonic s12ii 620w, I still have one in my old i5-2500k/R9-390 build but not sure I would use one in a newer build since they are the older group-regulated type (latency in PSU response is a thing lol)

not sure exactly where you are looking to buy I did see a SilverStone ET550-G for under €70 shipped, thats not too bad of a deal...

Solution