KingFast Reveals 1 TB C-Drive SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Its been tried before.. The OCZ Colossus. Unfortunately that thing was a big steaming pile. We bought 20 at work for testing and we killed almost 1 every single day... After RMAing 10 or so we just gave up. Hopefully this one is more reliable.

InvalidError

Titan

It is sold as a single drive that internally uses RAID to make its two internal units look like one so as far as as-purchased goes, you are losing only one drive.

You aren't any more or less screwed than if the SSD attached all the NVRAM dies to a single larger controller.

Just about every 1TB SSD on the market uses this trick because most controllers (and especially the SF controllers) cannot address more than 512GB of usable space, so anything larger than that is using some form of internal RAID0 to aggregate more usable space.

That is going to be one of the big deals about next gen controllers. We will finally have native 1TB SSDs (making them much cheaper), and internally raided 2TB drives... just no official word on when they are going to be available as they were supposed to be out already.

for normal day to day use it is actually not that big of a deal. The issues crop up if you are running the drive full, or constantly filling and deleting large portions of the drive, but for most people (and even power users like gamers) it is just an issue where you understand that the drive will not perform at top speed as memory is used and needs to be cleared before being rewritten, and that there may be issues down the road where it can die early due to uneven wear and tear. But unless you are really pushing the drive, most people would never know.

I have 2 SSDs in RAID0 (2x 240GB drives), and I ended up upgrading from a z68 to a z77 motherboard for the sake of having RAID support because I did notice some performance degregation over the course of 3-4 months. It was one of those things where it really wasn't a huge deal... but I wanted to be better safe than sorry, and I would prefer to not replace my drives any time soon. Now I have been on z77 for ~6 months, and things have slowed down a little bit compared to the fresh install, but not nearly to the same extent as it did before. Plus I think a lot of it is in my head as I have 2 mid-level drives, and I have since had the opportunity to use some much higher end drives in other systems. So it may just be me holding the drives to a higher standard.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'd much rather just buy a Crucual M500 960GB drive for ~$600. It uses higher-density NAND and doesn't rely on a RAID-0 to reach the 1TB mark. It also is a 7mm drive instead of 9.5mm and is 100% made by Crucial/Micron and isn't some no-name brand using off-the-shelf parts from other companies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
How practical is that drive if it doesn't support TRIM?
FYI, with all the talk about 1TB drives needing RAID0 to get around 512GB controller limits and the potential lack of TRIM there, one guy mentioned the OCZ Colossus (1TB), which apparently DOES have TRIM.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Good to know.
Wasn't TRIM enabled on the z77 chipset last year?
Thought Intel released an update that enabled it sometime around the August time-frame.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Those read/writes are pretty slow unless they are talking about compressible data speeds. I had (2) Vertex3's in a RAID0 and was easily benchmarking 1GB/s in ATTO. And my (2) Agility3's in RAID0 also hit close close to 900MB/s on a significantly slower system.
Other than the capacity of a single drive, if these KingFast drives aren't hitting 600MB/s in either read or write, I'd rather have two individual drives with similar performance, such as an 840Pro or a Vertex450.

Status
Not open for further replies.