[SOLVED] Kingston A400, is it any good ? anyone got one of these ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
-i just got a good deal on kingston A400 240gb ssd( $25USD), just wondering is it worth getting it ? is it reliable ? it do comes with 3year warranty but losing data is not something anybody wants (its just annoying).

- it will mostly be used to store stuff and NOT run games or software off it on my PC or i will use it in my older PC i5 2nd gen as bootdrive which i use with TV and currently using a 6year old wdgreen HDD as bootdrive.

-if you had a400 or know someone who had a400 your feedback would be very helpful, thanks

Solution
The Kingston A400 is a good budget drive. Its nothing incredibly special, but many people seem to like them.

I have had a Kingston A400 240gb for a little less than a year now. The hour count seems low to be honest, but my PC is off 99% of the nights and most weekdays (I have learned my lesson leaving facebook up one night)

No issues at all. Its a lot faster than my old HP S700, and supposedly more reliable.
View: https://imgur.com/eBrsES6

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
had a 480GB a 400 for almost three years. no issues. its my windows drive and crystaldisk says the drive is good. 495 power cycles, 977 days, 23456 hours ( the real number do the math in sequence is just cool)

crystaldisk.png

The Kingston A400 is a great budget SSD. That said, it is slow as far as SSDs are concerned. Still a heck of a lot faster than a mechanical drive though. I've talked to quite a few people that have had them and they are generally happy with the drives. Solid, reliable, inexpensive, and snappy are all words I've heard used to describe them. That is also a heck of a deal you got on it. I'd say you are in for years of happy computing.

As for use, I wouldn't use an SSD for just storage when you have a system that can benefit from the extra speed sitting around.

Reactions: rookieGamer

popatim

Titan
I see several threads on these drives here in the storage forums that have odd issues that I don't see with the top tier drives (860evo, Mx500...). Hardly ever see issue with the top tier drives actually...

For the price though, I'd say it's well worth it! I wouldn't mind getting 4 and sneaking them in my work pc's (using slow 2.5" hdd's)
Just make sure you take an occasional image of the drive so you can do an easy restore in case things go wrong. it might save you from spending a whole day re-installing windows, drivers, updates, software ...

The Kingston A400 is a good budget drive. Its nothing incredibly special, but many people seem to like them.

I have had a Kingston A400 240gb for a little less than a year now. The hour count seems low to be honest, but my PC is off 99% of the nights and most weekdays (I have learned my lesson leaving facebook up one night)

No issues at all. Its a lot faster than my old HP S700, and supposedly more reliable.
View: https://imgur.com/eBrsES6

Last edited:
Solution

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
thanks for all the feedback guys.
i did order it 240gb A400 for $25(including shipping) it was deal i just had to buy.:giggle: i was just concerned over if that ssd will work or just going to break on me in few months, i know its slow ssd and uses older tech unlike vertical stacking used in current ssds.

-i have a Samsung 860evo in my PC as boot drive and been thinking of replacing my HDD which is slow and old, dont need a lot of space so not looking for another HDD.
-i also need a ssd for my old build which i use with TV and currently has HDD as a bootdrive and is slow AF and it feels slow after i got SSD on my PC.

again thank you for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.