Question Kingston KC3000 SSD not being recognized after other issues solved ?

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
October 9th:

Hey all,

My cat spilled a glass of coke into the top of my pc, I quickly notices because I was listening to music and the music cut off but went back on.

I quickly turned off the switch and let it dry for a couple of hours, hair dried all the pieces, ect. It wasnt too much liquid but it also wasnt too little.

I plugged in the pc back on and it worked no issues but I noticed there was a bit of water still coming from my radiator (because its places on top and the glass fell on top of the pc, radiator blocking most of it), I shut it off abrutly and cleaned/dried the radiator.

Now I let it sit for a bit, came back turned ON and I have no display from my GPU, I switched the GPU and same issue, put the 2nd GPU in the 2nd pci E and the pc bleeps three times and shuts off, turns on and shuts off.

October 19th: I tried one more time, cleaned everything repasted everything and the pc booted up.

Everything works CPU, all RAM, my GPU, and one NVME. But my second SSD (KC3000 NVMe) is not being recognized, in the BIOS it doesn't even appear to be listed.

I Updated the BIOS to F38 on gygabyte aeorus but no avail.

I cleaned the SSD again but nothing, it gets warm and seems to be running but doesnt show up,
My OS is on this SSD along with my precious data.

I really doubt that it's toast since everything else is fine and its way more delicate than that.

Ideas?

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
See if it appears in the BIOS, try different ports, M.2 adapter or USB enclosure might be necessary or a different PC to verify. It might just be that M.2 slot.
I tried different slot with another NVME and it gets recognized, so the slot is working. Havent tried the enclosure or another pc, any other trick it might get the Nvme start it like using an eraser on the connector part?

I tried different slot with another NVME and it gets recognized, so the slot is working. Havent tried the enclosure or another pc, any other trick it might get the Nvme start it like using an eraser on the connector part?
If it's not showing in the BIOS, it's probably toast. Data retrieval is usually expensive but it depends on the damage. Kingston won't do that for you, but there are third parties.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
If it's not showing in the BIOS, it's probably toast. Data retrieval is usually expensive but it depends on the damage. Kingston won't do that for you, but there are third parties.
I havent tried testing with an Nvme enclosure but Im giving up with the drive, I mean that was my favorite drive and had all
my sentimental value all of my data, I did boot after the spillage once why would it survive the boot and shorten before?

I have tried updating the drivers, cleaning it up again, moving slots, turning raid off, nothing. It does run super hot which is a bad sign. It is still under warranty I bought thru Kingston USA but now I live in Europe will they cover it?

What else can I do? Everything else in the computer works flawless after the spillage but why would just that nvme get shorted?

I havent tried testing with an Nvme enclosure but Im giving up with the drive, I mean that was my favorite drive and had all
my sentimental value all of my data, I did boot after the spillage once why would it survive the boot and shorten before?

I have tried updating the drivers, cleaning it up again, moving slots, turning raid off, nothing. It does run super hot which is a bad sign. It is still under warranty I bought thru Kingston USA but now I live in Europe will they cover it?

What else can I do? Everything else in the computer works flawless after the spillage but why would just that nvme get shorted?
There's many reasons but if it appears to be running unusually hot, it's probably controller/firmware failure from an undesirable state. Recovery could involve replacing the controller with a "donor" and then the use of tools to decode and retrieve the data. I know how the process works but am not sure of the current cost. But I do know that manufacturers, aside from Seagate, generally will not make attempts at data retrieval. However, the warranty should be good.

I suppose you could try carefully cleaning it with rubbing alcohol which can sometimes "revive" electronics, but SSDs are prone to going into debug states with these catastrophic incidents which means that even if the drive is functional it has to be reset by firmware with OEM (mass production/MP) tools that match the drive on hand. I suppose Kingston might attempt this but companies really do not like dealing with user data and it's probably more reliable to wipe the drive in such a procedure from their viewpoint. (also, even in the cases where I've done this, the firmware process is usually destructive to data)

Last edited:

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
There's many reasons but if it appears to be running unusually hot, it's probably controller/firmware failure from an undesirable state. Recovery could involve replacing the controller with a "donor" and then the use of tools to decode and retrieve the data. I know how the process works but am not sure of the current cost. But I do know that manufacturers, aside from Seagate, generally will not make attempts at data retrieval. However, the warranty should be good.

I suppose you could try carefully cleaning it with rubbing alcohol which can sometimes "revive" electronics, but SSDs are prone to going into debug states with these catastrophic incidents which means that even if the drive is functional it has to be reset by firmware with OEM (mass production/MP) tools that match the drive on hand. I suppose Kingston might attempt this but companies really do not like dealing with user data and it's probably more reliable to wipe the drive in such a procedure from their viewpoint. (also, even in the cases where I've done this, the firmware process is usually destructive to data)"
Recovery could involve replacing the controller with a "donor"
That makes a lot of sense, Can this be made at home?

Ill try contact Kingston see If they honor it I bought in the US and now live in Europe, I cant find the receipt of purchase in my emails or the account. Havent ever dealt with them.

That makes a lot of sense, Can this be made at home?

Ill try contact Kingston see If they honor it I bought in the US and now live in Europe, I cant find the receipt of purchase in my emails or the account. Havent ever dealt with them.
The equipment required can be expensive and it does require experience and knowhow. If you want to see the process in action, check out the YouTube channel @hddrecoveryservices (full channel name: HDD Recovery Services) which shows this being done. They operate in North America but there may be similar organizations in Europe.

As for Kingston, if you have the serial and other information from the label (and/or box) they can at least date its manufacture which is usually the fallback for warranty period. The EU does have strong consumer protection laws but I don't know if that applies for your situation or not.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
The equipment required can be expensive and it does require experience and knowhow. If you want to see the process in action, check out the YouTube channel @hddrecoveryservices (full channel name: HDD Recovery Services) which shows this being done. They operate in North America but there may be similar organizations in Europe.

As for Kingston, if you have the serial and other information from the label (and/or box) they can at least date its manufacture which is usually the fallback for warranty period. The EU does have strong consumer protection laws but I don't know if that applies for your situation or not.
Thank you for your reply, I tried using a NVMe enclosure and no avail, doesnt get recognized, im getting support from kingston.

Thank you for your reply, I tried using a NVMe enclosure and no avail, doesnt get recognized, im getting support from kingston.
I checked into this and sometimes it's possible to read the data in safe/ROM mode before flashing for repair, but you need a specific MPTool. While this is something that can be possibly done, it's not a guarantee at all and these tools are generally not made public. I hope you get luck with Kingston!