Question Kolink Core PSU's - Need Opinions on This for an Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVasky

Commendable
Aug 10, 2019
Hello Community,
I want to upgrade my PSU and i found this brand (Kolink) that is much cheaper than the others, i would like some opinions on this brand.

I currently have a NOX Hummer 80 Plus Bronze 650W and i wanted to upgrade maybe to a 850W PSU.

Also if this brand isn't good then what PSU would you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Hello Community,
I want to upgrade my PSU and i found this brand (Kolink) that is much cheaper than the others, i would like some opinions on this brand.

Why would you even consider such a lump of garbage? Seriously... You can't do much worse than a Kolink Core PSU. Even amongst the already mediocre Koling PSU offerings, it is the cheapest.

Why do you need 850W? Are you running an 8+ Core Xeon and three Tesla graphics cards for graphic rendering? Seriously... What's up?

Full system specs?

I see Kolinks low-end PSUs are not very good judging by this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...plus-bronze-internals.18701754/#post-31689683
I see that at least the 500w core units lack a DC-DC, have cheap Capacitors just like the above, and use a cheap fan type. I also see a lack of OTP. Not trustworthy.

Your current NOX Hummer has no OPT which isn't a good sign, but i can't really find much more info on it. I would trust it more than a Kolink unit.

A general rule of thumb. If a PSU is very cheap, there is a reason. They take shortcuts that can end up costing you in the long run.

Last edited:
Your current NOX Hummer has no OPT which isn't a good sign, but i can't really find much more info on it. I would trust it more than a Kolink unit.

You mean OTP?

If the PSU had no OTP, then if the fan died the PC wouldn't shut off and it would just blow up instead.

But I doubt the NOX Hummer lacks OTP. The supervisor IC may not support it, but if the fan is thermostatically controlled, they probably have the thermistor tied to the OPP on the primary IC to shut it down in the event of a fan failure. Super cheap way to have functioning OTP. No reason for anyone to not implement it. But most reviewers miss it and assume the PSU doesn't have OTP because the supervisor IC doesn't support it.

LordVasky

Commendable
Aug 10, 2019
Why would you even consider such a lump of garbage? Seriously... You can't do much worse than a Kolink Core PSU. Even amongst the already mediocre Koling PSU offerings, it is the cheapest.

Why do you need 850W? Are you running an 8+ Core Xeon and three Tesla graphics cards for graphic rendering? Seriously... What's up?
Full system specs?

I seeKolinks low-end PSUs are not very good judging by this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...plus-bronze-internals.18701754/#post-31689683

A general rule of thumb. If a PSU is very cheap, there is a reason. They take shortcuts that can end up costing you in the long run.

Here's my specs:

Motherboard - MSI B150 Gaming M3
CPU - Intel Core i5 - 6400 2.70GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 750 Ti 2GB
PSU - NOX Hummer 80 Plus Bronze Edition 650W
RAM - 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz)
Storage - 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD

I want to upgrade my PSU because i also wanted to upgrade my GPU so i was thinking of upgrading for 850W to have more room for upgrades in the future, but i'm a noob at this so forgive me for getting things wrong.

Even a 2080ti can work on a GOOD QUALITY 650w. Maybe even a little lower wattage too.

I dont know enough to determine if your unit is of good quality, but 850w is overkill for any single GPU setup.

Heck, a GTX 1060 would be a good step up from your current 750ti and Nvidia only recommends a 400w or greater for a GTX 1060.

https://www.vsgamers.es/en/product/power-gaming-atx-nox-hummer-650w-modular-80-bronze
"Protections: OPP, SCP, OVP, UVP"

Yea I meant I didn't see OTP or a temperature rating listed anywhere.
It is 80+ Bronze and modular, but IK that really doesn't speak for quality. Just hints that its not the worst out there.

Yeah. Their own marketing team doesn't know what they're selling.

It's a CWT DSA platform. Same as CX-M, CM GM, Riotoro Onyx, etc. Even Aris was tripped up by this platform and says in reviews that it doesn't have OTP because it uses the ST9S429-PG14 IC which doesn't support OTP. The OTP is, as I described, in the fan controller and trips the OPP instead.

The Hummer is a decent "budget" unit. Not great. I wouldn't use it with a high end build. But it's not a bomb.

Ok. SO then your power supply is good enough for a GPU upgrade.
I'm too lazy to research, is it on the same platform as the cam green or grey? I'm guessing grey since you said its decent.

A gtx 1060 or something would be a good upgrade path

Last edited:

LordVasky

Commendable
Aug 10, 2019
Ok. Yea its decent enough for something a little better then. Im to lazy to research, is thag the cx green or grey? Im guessing grey since you said its decent.

A gtx 1060 or something would be a good uograde path
So i don't need to upgrade the PSU? Well that's good news.

And i was already thinking of upgrading to the GTX 1060.

So i suppose that's it then?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Ok. Yea its decent enough for something a little better then. Im to lazy to research, is thag the cx green or grey? Im guessing grey since you said its decent.

Even the green label CX-M is "decent". The only difference between the green and gray label is the gray label has DC to DC and a rifle bearing fan vs. a sleeve bearing fan. People on these forums just like to "freak out" if you have the green label CX-M, and then turn around and suggest something worse like the Seasonic M12II.

That said, I believe the NOX Hummer has DC to DC. Don't know what kind of fan. Probably sleeve.

So i don't need to upgrade the PSU? Well that's good news.

And i was already thinking of upgrading to the GTX 1060.

So i suppose that's it then?

Thanks for the help guys.

No. You DO NOT need to upgrade your PSU for a GTX1060.

Status
Not open for further replies.