Koolance Cases - What's the deal?

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Koolance water-cooled cases.....I was marvelling at one in the computer store the other day and was impressed with the idea. But as I looked at it more, it struck me that maybe the cooling was a little TOO isolated to specific components - the CPU, HD, Video card and the power supply. Granted, these are the greatest generators of heat in the computer, will the rest of the components suffer the lack of air moving over them? Is this even a problem? Do I worry too much about parts, that, in many computers, give years of service without any sort of cooling fan?
Do I want one just to tinker with something offbeat?
DO I ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS IN ONE POST?

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've looked at Koolance cases as well. I'll probably get one for my next case (when I get an Athlon 4, maybe?).
Anyhow, you're right. Hard drives, RAM, southbridge, PCI cards, all of those generate heat, with not so much as a heatsink on it.
My advice? Just get a couple of fans. One intake on the lower front of the case, one exhaust upper back of the case. That should keep you covered nicely. Or, even easier, just get a slot fan.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
....and what about having that resevoir in the bottom of the case? Is the ambient temp in the case higher, or do they have it insulated enough?
Or is it such a large amount of coolant for the job, like having a 55 gallon radiator on your car, that it's not that hot to begin with?

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork