Question Kraken X73 AIO - CPU overheating once every 1-4 weeks on boot

FantaBurky

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
I got brand new build with a Kraken X73. It runs perfectly fine with an average of 33c idle and like 55c on load when gaming or running Cinebench. But then occasionally every 1-4 weeks (3 times so far) when the PC has been turned off for more than 10hrs and the room temp is around 14-16c it will boot up and instantly the fans will start to get really loud. I can see the Logo LEDs light up red (it is set to light up according to the CPU temp) while the PC is booting. By the time I'm on my desktop it's running at 80-90c and shuts down. It does this a few more times before starting up normal with decent temps. The red LED turning green as soon as I'm in windows and NZXT Cam displays its overlay on the desktop.

It never happens while I'm on the PC, in fact it runs perfect then. Only happens when the PC has been turned off for a long time and perhaps when the room temp is cold.

When idle and everything is normal, the NZXT Cam's Cooling - Pump RPM is at 2700rpm. PC Monitoring - Fan under CPU is 820rpm (pics here: View: https://imgur.com/a/0r2MxuX
)

Wondering if this is a serious issue that I should address by replacing the AIO, or just ignore? Only other solution I've read is to unmount the cooler and shake it like crazy to fix any airbubbles near the pump that might be causing the issue. Could that even be the case tho if the pump itself is not making any noise, but the fans are. And the fact that it only happens when the PC has been turned off for some time? I rotated the PC case around one time to make sure any trapped bubbles would find their way up to the radiator, so I'm guessing if there is any they would be stuck there and not somehow travel down while the PC is turned off.

I appreciate any help!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are a couple of good videos and articles out about how to place an AIO so that the pump doesn't get residual air inside and become unable to pump.

You might want to check your connection(s) for the pump, fan headers, supplemental power (if equipped) and make sure everything is plugged in nice and tight.

I have a fan (or) header on my current X370 that just every now and again will not work correctly on boot. In my case it isn't critical to operation and a quick reboot normally corrects it. I mention to say that strange things can happen and in this case it could be critical to the hardware. I am glad to read that it is doing a proper thermal shutdown.

FantaBurky

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

Oh, so it could be a fan header on the motherboard that is faulty? Currently I have the pump connected to the AIO_PUMP header (+ SATA from PSU for power), the 3 radiator fans connected to CPU_FAN (Z590-F motherboard). CPU_OPT has all the case fans (case comes with fan splitter).

The "manual" for X73 says to connect the pump to either CPU_FAN or AIO_PUMP. I guess I could try switching the pump to CPU_FAN and see if the problem disappears. Connect the 3 radiator fans to CPU_OPT, and case fans to a CHA_FAN header.

It's really confusing that it only happens when the PC has been off for some time. The AIO placement should be good, I have the radiator on the top exactly like this one:
e06b684f-3304-45ce-ba7a-e7dd9cc9c438.png

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I may have missed it, but you have gone into BIOS and set each header to the appropriate type as related to what is connected and checked speed setting and such?

I mean, troubleshooting this becomes so problematic from a standpoint that it isn't happening a lot. It can also be quite difficult to troubleshoot an AIO since you can't really tell what it's doing outside its own hardware.
It would seem to me that since it is working well all this other time and just every now and again not working after being off that it points to some issue with air in the pump, or a very intermittent problem with it or the header.
From what you show, it appears to be a good install in relation to the pump and it's lines going to the rad. If you have the room, perhaps spin the pump head 45* so the hoses face up towards the cooler and see if the issue persists?
admittedly, grabbing for straws on that recommend...

FantaBurky

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
Yeah I honestly would rather it happen more frequently at this point cause I feel like eventually some component is gonna die if the cpu keeps overheating every few weeks.

I saw a few people suggesting the same (rotating the pump head) to others who experienced similar problems. As well as removing the cooler and shaking it vigorously cause of airbubble issues that might have come with shipping. I'll try doing both those things if the problem persists after swapping around the fan headers. Problem being that I probably have to wait another few weeks to find out if it has been fixed or not :') And I kinda don't feel like it could be an airbubble issue at this point since the pump is not making any noises and I've rotated the case around before. I feel like if that was the issue, it would be more noise coming from the cooler than just the fans working extra hard, aswell as the overheating happening more frequently and while the PC is on. But maybe leaving the PC off for 10hrs+ in a cool environment allows new airbubbles to form somehow as opposed to while the pump is actually doing its thing?

The fan header being faulty was something I read in another thread, so maybe that will fix it. Also there seem to be different opinions on whether the AIO_PUMP or CPU_FAN should be used with X73. Some saying the power to the pump is daisy chained between the CPU_FAN and the SATA power connector (which I will also try and swap). So we'll see... And yeah I did make sure the AIO_PUMP was set to 100% in bios.