[SOLVED] Kraken Z63 Help

Breakdown13

Reputable
Jun 20, 2017
Morning! I installed a new mobo (Asus Maximus Hero XI) and Cpu (9900k) last night along with the Kraken z63. I have the cooler hooked up exactly the way the manual instructed. The 3 pin fan is plugged into AIO_Pump on my motherboard. The radiator fans are connected to the fan splitter coming off the pump. I have the sata power connected as well as the usb cable from the pump to the motherboard. I turned on the system and everything posted. The cooler powered on and was running, but the radiator fans were not. I unplugged them and then back in. I also unplugged the sata power and back in and the cooler turned off and will not turn back on. The PC powers on fine, but I cant the cooler to operate. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
It sounds like you have everything connected the right way.

I saw your thread earlier today, but didn't respond , since I don't really think I have the solution. But I noticed you were asking in another thread as well, so I'll post my only idea.

This is a longshot, but only one of the fan headers has all 4-pins, so in order to read rpm and so on, one of the two fans has to be connected to number 1 fan header, as shown in this picture

Notice, that fan header 1, is not the one at the very end of the cable, but the one closest to the pump.

But I don't see why the fans wouldn't spin, even if the fans are attached to header 2 and 3, you just wouldn't get an rpm reaading.
Also, you most likely already have attached one on the fans...
It sounds like you have everything connected the right way.

I saw your thread earlier today, but didn't respond , since I don't really think I have the solution. But I noticed you were asking in another thread as well, so I'll post my only idea.

This is a longshot, but only one of the fan headers has all 4-pins, so in order to read rpm and so on, one of the two fans has to be connected to number 1 fan header, as shown in this picture

Notice, that fan header 1, is not the one at the very end of the cable, but the one closest to the pump.

But I don't see why the fans wouldn't spin, even if the fans are attached to header 2 and 3, you just wouldn't get an rpm reaading.
Also, you most likely already have attached one on the fans to header 1, since I would think you followed the instructions.

But you never know, NZXT Cam can be a bit strange at times, so it might be worth checking a second time.

It would be very odd with two broken fans though, so the problem must lie somwhere else. But it appears you have been doing everything correctly, and I don't really know what else to suggest.

To make sure the fans are in fact working, you could always try running them off one of the motherboard fan headers, just to verify they are functional.

EDIT : Oh, I just noticed, that the pump / control module now appears to be dead?

I have no ideas with regards to that, sorry

Last edited:
Solution

Breakdown13

Reputable
Jun 20, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I plugged both fans into the mobo on cpu fan and cpu opt. The fans started working. The pump also started working. I’m thinking maybe the cable that has all the fan connectors is bad?

Cables can be broken or have loose or poor connections. But I must admit, it is not often I come across something as simple as a cable being faulty, but that doesn't mean at all that it doesn't happen, of course.

I don't really know how you could test it, it seems you should consider RMA'ing the cooler, if no-one else has any input

I can't really recommend running the radiator fans from the motherboard, altough that is a possibility

I say that, because I have a Kraken x62 I used until recently, and I wanted to swap the stock AER-P fans for some Noctua Industrial fans, which I have always done with the other AiOs I have owned. But they didn't work at all with the Cam software for various reasons, minimum rpm was one of the problems.
So I decided to run the new Noctua Industrial fans from the motherbord instead.
And although my motherboard (the same one you have, by the way) has a tonne of options in BIOS for controlling the fans, I never really managed to get it woking in a satisfactory way, the same way you can with the NZXT Cam software.

So not only is it obvious that the very expensive AiO you've bought should to be working without compromising the setup of the whole thing, but I don't think you'll ever be completely content if you decide to run the fans off a motherboard fan header either. I can't know if you would be happy with it, but personally I can't recomend it, and like I said, the AiO should be in perfect working order to begin with.

I can't point to anything from what you have written, that would indicate incorrect installation from you side, so RMA is a possible option.

Last edited:
That's great I'd say, no need to return the whole thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed, that the new cable will solve your problem.

It is a very nice cooler, and I've been considering buying it myself, so I really hope you'll be happy with it, despite the initial problems.

It depends if it's load or idle. For idle it's a bit high, when I was using the x62, when my 9900K was doing light work (web browsing, youtube, music etc.) or idling, liquid temperature was stable 26'c

But when stresstesting the liquid reached 37'c exactly as max liquid temperature.

When gaming, the liquid temp would sit around 35'c

However, apart from ambient temperature, pump speed also affects liquid temperature, so for comparison (although there's a new pump in the z63) I ran the pump at its "Silent Profile", which meant that the pump would be at 2000rpm idle / light load, and when gaming or stresstesting it would go to 2700 rpm.

I manually prevented the fans from going above 50% in Cam by using a custom fan curve, which is about 950 rpm, if I remember correctly. The lowest fan RPM i used was 40%, which I believe was around 550 - 600rpm or so.

I don't know if it is even useful to you, but those were the temps I exprienced.

I had it mounted as top exhaust.

EDIT : Since the fans are controlled by BIOS for now, your radiator fans may be running slower then what Cam would set them to, which has an impact on temps as well.
Cam runs the fans quite fast, which is why I made a custom fan curve - otherwise I found the fans to be too loud.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS