Question KVM recommendation

kihilind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
i want my home pc and work pc to share kb, mouse and two monitors. the home pc has 2 HDMI outs, and the work pc has 2 display port outs. is there a kvm that can accommodate that?

Remeca

Reputable
You should check out Synergy (free version.) It may do what you need at no cost. It will let you have kb/m plugged into one computer, with each computer getting its own monitor plugged in side by side. They're connected via LAN. What Synergy does, is when you move your mouse over to the other screen, it will just carry on to the other screen and you can now use the other computer with the same kb/m. Latency is unnoticeable if they're using Ethernet.

https://chocolatey.org/packages/synergy

kihilind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
You should check out Synergy (free version.) It may do what you need at no cost. It will let you have kb/m plugged into one computer, with each computer getting its own monitor plugged in side by side. They're connected via LAN. What Synergy does, is when you move your mouse over to the other screen, it will just carry on to the other screen and you can now use the other computer with the same kb/m. Latency is unnoticeable if they're using Ethernet.

https://chocolatey.org/packages/synergy

I like idea, but I want both monitors to only show the computer I select to use. Also, I'm not sure the very secure work computer will allow me to use Synergy.

kihilind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
Ahh true, I didnt catch that about both monitors at the same time. I don't see any kvm that support dual monitor hdmi and displayport, but you could use a display port to hdmi adapter on the work computer to the kvm.

So funny you should say that - that's exactly what I tried doing. Got HDMI-Displayport cables and used a Vertiv 4-port switch. After a few months, it no longer would recognize the cables. Vertiv sent me another kvm, but that one doesn't work either. That's why I am trying to find a native dataport kvm.

Remeca

Reputable
How integral is the GPU in the work pc? If its only to drive displays and not for any kind of serious workload, you could put a new cheap gpu in it with hdmi. Seems much more cost effective and simple than trying to find a kvm with hdmi and dp input.

kihilind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
How integral is the GPU in the work pc? If its only to drive displays and not for any kind of serious workload, you could put a new cheap gpu in it with hdmi. Seems much more cost effective and simple than trying to find a kvm with hdmi and dp input.

Unfortunately, the GPU is built into my work laptop's docking station.

kihilind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
Oh, it's a laptop. Alternatively, you could get a DP kvm, and run the DP to hdmi cable from your pc, and if the cable still doesn't work, maybe just an adapter.

I looked into that. Actually, I looked for a KVM that supports one set of HDMIs and one set of DPs. That's what this whole post is asking for - I couldn't find one :)

Remeca

Reputable
That's true, but at least those can be had for a reasonable price. As for the GPU, that depends on what you have, and what you do on the PC. Lots of modern and even years old GPUs with DP and hdmi outs. The kvm and old gpu could be sold to help fund the new stuff.