[SOLVED] Lag in Apex Legends and delayed desktop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016

I have this weird issue recently where my desktop icons are like, delayed in the video where the thumbnail of the app inst smoothy transitioned and I've been getting lag in Apex Legends where if I go over 170 Fps my game microstutters and inst smooth. Using rivatuner to cap the fps, already tried origin fps limiter.

I've clean installed windows 10 and ddu'd my drivers and it didn't help.

SPECS:
2080TI default clocks
I7 8700K default clocks
Nvme 970 ssd
Asus Pg258q 240hz monitor

Solution
Okay so after some more testing, i believe its because of having 2 different monitors at diff refresh rates, main one is 240hz and other one is 144hz, the microstutters are really bad unless I lower the refresh rate of the second monitor to 59hz, but even then it doesn't fix it, just feels a bit better
Try disconnecting the second monitor while playing in the 240hz one. All I can suggest is that you try putting the second monitor on 60 or 120 Hz because they more even divisors of the main monitors Hz. I had a similar but different problem with my 144hz and 60 Hz, monitors. I solved the issue by putting the 144Hz monitor on 120 hz instead. I would also play with the Nvidia global 3d settings to see if that improves the issue...

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Did you originally upgrade to Win10 from a previous operating system? What is your RAM, and PSU? Have you updated the BIOS for your motherboard? Are you having any weird errors in the applications and system section of Event Viewer?
Actually I upgraded from windows 1809 to 1903 or something and 1903 had weird graphical glitches as well as my colors being messed up so I reverted the change and went back to 1809, I believe that's when the desktop lag started.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
if your gpu is hitting 100% but your cpu is only at 30%, your gpu is the bottleneck. your cpu wants to push more frames but it cant due to the gpu bottleneck..
It's never been at those percents, both average around 50-70%, in the dropship where its rendering the whole map, my gpu is at 99% and my cpu around 60-70% but thats only at the start of a match, pretty sure most people have it maxed if you cap your frames above 60 since apex is gpu hungry

Actually I upgraded from windows 1809 to 1903 or something and 1903 had weird graphical glitches as well as my colors being messed up so I reverted the change and went back to 1809, I believe that's when the desktop lag started.
With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install, these problems can persist if you don't do a clean install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
With windows 10 and these types of problems, I have learned that doing these things first is always a good idea to make sure there are no problems with the Windows install, these problems can persist if you don't do a clean install:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Report back when this finishes (5-10 min)
Okay so it said there were corrupt files and it failed to repair them on sfc /scannow so I went through 4-6 and it found corruption and fixed it and I ran sfc /scannow again and it repaired them successfully but it didnt seem to fix anything

Okay so it said there were corrupt files and it failed to repair them on sfc /scannow so I went through 4-6 and it found corruption and fixed it and I ran sfc /scannow again and it repaired them successfully but it didnt seem to fix anything
So that fixed some stuff that can mess with drivers and registry installs. Try to do another DDU driver install and see if that helped. Also, update to the latest version of Windows 10 and then do the scans again to make sure the update didn't mess up. Your problem is almost certainly a driver/software issue unless you were going through your computer hardware recently and cause something to start shorting, which is not impossible. When was the first time it started stuttering? When was the last time you messed with your hardware, like dusting it out?

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
So I tried pretty much all I could think of but no fix, updated all my drivers and went to 1903, no fix. Downgraded to windows 1803, no fix, and tried 2 different gpus and ddu'd my drivers with no fix. Not really sure what else I could try, ive also clean booted and reset windows with no fix

So I tried pretty much all I could think of but no fix, updated all my drivers and went to 1903, no fix. Downgraded to windows 1803, no fix, and tried 2 different gpus and ddu'd my drivers with no fix. Not really sure what else I could try, ive also clean booted and reset windows with no fix
If it is not your Drivers/GPU/Win10 then it has to be hardware/BIOS related. I would try memtest for 4+ passes. If that is clear there are only a few parts left to check such as the motherboard. I would check and update BIOS. If the BIOS is updated and still got problems there may be a motherboard/cpu defect. Power supply is hard to check without some niche tools. What PSU do you have? There could also be a short on the motherboard. Check the computer for any loose screws or standoffs. These would cause stuttering if shorting out the motherboard. I would also check the Event Viewer > Window Logs > System/Application sections for any critical or error level reports. If there are any critical the description can be helpful to figure this out. Look for any suspicious error reports as well. Some error reports are normal but some are not.

Unless more things are uncovered or the problem can be more specifically described with more symptoms that's all the advice I can give. Maybe someone more knowledgable or clever can chime in to help.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
If it is not your Drivers/GPU/Win10 then it has to be hardware/BIOS related. I would try memtest for 4+ passes. If that is clear there are only a few parts left to check such as the motherboard. I would check and update BIOS. If the BIOS is updated and still got problems there may be a motherboard/cpu defect. Power supply is hard to check without some niche tools. What PSU do you have? There could also be a short on the motherboard. Check the computer for any loose screws or standoffs. These would cause stuttering if shorting out the motherboard. I would also check the Event Viewer > Window Logs > System/Application sections for any critical or error level reports. If there are any critical the description can be helpful to figure this out. Look for any suspicious error reports as well. Some error reports are normal but some are not.

Unless more things are uncovered or the problem can be more specifically described with more symptoms that's all the advice I can give. Maybe someone more knowledgable or clever can chime in to help.
Okay so after some more testing, i believe its because of having 2 different monitors at diff refresh rates, main one is 240hz and other one is 144hz, the microstutters are really bad unless I lower the refresh rate of the second monitor to 59hz, but even then it doesn't fix it, just feels a bit better

Try disconnecting the second monitor while playing in the 240hz one. All I can suggest is that you try putting the second monitor on 60 or 120 Hz because they more even divisors of the main monitors Hz. I had a similar but different problem with my 144hz and 60 Hz, monitors. I solved the issue by putting the 144Hz monitor on 120 hz instead. I would also play with the Nvidia global 3d settings to see if that improves the issue. Also, try disabling G-sync. I would also try putting both monitors on 120hz or 144hz and see if that fixes it. I know that is obviously negating the purpose of the 240 Hz monitor but just try it for diagnostic purposes.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS