[SOLVED] LAN connection is slow. 500mbps internet but didnt even reach 100mbps on speedtest ?

Sep 9, 2020
hello. im using internet 500mbps speed. connected LAN CAT7 to my pc. Before this, my speedtest reach 500mbps speed, but starting few weeks ago, it didnt even reach 100mbps. my phone connected with wifi and the speed even better than LAN. atleast reached 400mbps
but on pc with LAN CAT7 doesnt even reach 100mpbs. already contacted my provider and they already came check but their laptop can reach 500mbps using LAN but my pc didnt. what is the problem? and how to solve it?

Solution
Cat7 cables were never fully certified and have little use other than some special cases where you need 10gbit ethernet.

These tend to be very expensive and many of the cables you see called cat7 are fakes. It can also be that the particular cable you have is defective, the end having just 1 wire slightly loose inside one of the plugs can drop you to 100mbps or not work at all. Even worse cable that do not fully meet the specs can work on some machine and not others.

I would first check the ethernet properties and make sure the port is set to auto. After that the cheapest thing is to try a new cable. You only need CAT5E for gigabit but the key thing is the it must be pure copper wire (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no...
Cat7 cables were never fully certified and have little use other than some special cases where you need 10gbit ethernet.

These tend to be very expensive and many of the cables you see called cat7 are fakes. It can also be that the particular cable you have is defective, the end having just 1 wire slightly loose inside one of the plugs can drop you to 100mbps or not work at all. Even worse cable that do not fully meet the specs can work on some machine and not others.

I would first check the ethernet properties and make sure the port is set to auto. After that the cheapest thing is to try a new cable. You only need CAT5E for gigabit but the key thing is the it must be pure copper wire (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). This will be more complex if you are not using a simple cable between you and the router like if you have wall jacks and cabling in the path.

Solution
Sep 9, 2020

I would first check the ethernet properties and make sure the port is set to auto. After that the cheapest thing is to try a new cable. You only need CAT5E for gigabit but the key thing is the it must be pure copper wire (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). This will be more complex if you are not using a simple cable between you and the router like if you have wall jacks and cabling in the path.
i just saw at internet properties, it shown that my speed is at 100Mbps. does it mean that my cable is the one that problem? is it auto capped or need to changed cable? rn i dont have any spare cable tho. huhu

If you set it to auto and it negotiates to 100mbps it is almost always a cable. Now some peoples problem is their router only has 100mbps ports but since it used to work faster that is not your problem.

There is very little this can be. It is either defective ports...which you can not really fix or it is a cable. Now the only strange thing we have seen lately is motherboards with 2.5g ethernet ports have been having driver issues. If you have normal gigabit port in your pc it is still most likely a cable problem.

hello. im using internet 500mbps speed. connected LAN CAT7 to my pc. Before this, my speedtest reach 500mbps speed, but starting few weeks ago, it didnt even reach 100mbps. my phone connected with wifi and the speed even better than LAN. atleast reached 400mbps
but on pc with LAN CAT7 doesnt even reach 100mpbs. already contacted my provider and they already came check but their laptop can reach 500mbps using LAN but my pc didnt. what is the problem? and how to solve it?

Did your internet provider test using your CAT7 cable or their own cable ?