LAPPING THE P4

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Well i was a bit borde today so i thought that I would lap my heatsink.

Am running a P4 2.66 MALAY with stock intel cooler running @ 3.22GH 161FSB with stock voltage. Idel temp 38c and after a few hours of ut2004 its about 45c Room temp is about 23c.

So i tought well am cleaning the fans so why not take some time and lap the heatsink. As the stock one is pretty rough and lets see if the temps drop. I use AS3 as well.
I lapped with 230grit -> 400 -> 800 -> 1200 -> 1500 -> 2000 Wet/Dry Sand paper that I bought from SuperCheapAuto ( They where the only ones that had the 1500 and the 2000 grit). The finish on it is fantastic I could almost shave in the reflection.

Well after that was all done (1.5 hours of it, intel should relly get some better HS cos dis 1 was shoking), I though well the CPU is out and cleaned why not lap the heat spreader on it as well to for a better contact. So i thought well wtf lets do it.

It came out so nice better that the heat sink, the heat spredder came out nice copper finnish cos it has a layer of something on it aluminium i think. I would post photos but i have no dig cam.

Then it came to the dreded will it work. I slaped on the AS3 on the HS an worked it in to the micro valeys that r still there and rubbed it off. And then I put a littel bit on the cpu and d layer was just a littel bit more that a hayze. Slaped it all back on the MB and pressed the switch.

So the moment of truth came and she booted with no probs. Its been running now for 3 hours with no probs. The temps are 31c at idel and 38c after 1 hour of ut2004. And the AS3 still needs a good few days time to cure ( or what ever its called) properly.

All of the temps are taken from the bios after reboot. So there is an error of margin to keep in mind.

All in all it was a very sucessfull process that took about 4 hours from start to finish ( I WAS VERY VERY CAREFULL WITH THE CPU!!!) and the results speak for them selfs.

I post the final temps in a fe days time when the AS3 is a bit more setteled in.

NOTE: WHEN LAPPIN THE CPU THERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND.
1. THE WARRANTY ON THE UNIT IS VOID!!!!!!

2. DONT HOLD THE CPU BY THE SIDES AS THE PINS ON THE EDGES MIGHT BEND BY THE PRESSURE OF YOURE FINGERS. I USED A BIT OF HIGH CONDENSED FOAM THAT U USE TO INSULATE A PC CASE TO PUG THE CPU INTO BY THE PINS.( AND THIS THING IS NOT CONDUCTIVE).

3. WHEN LAPPING REMEMBER THERE IS A HOLE ON THE HEAT SPREDDER SO CLEAN IT OUT EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE DIRECTION OF LAPPING. I USED A COTTON BUD AND SOME ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER THAT LEAVES NO RESIDUE BEHIND.

4. WHEN LAPPING THE HS I USED WET SAND PAPER WITH, BUT WITH THE CPU THE SAND PAPER WAS JUST A LITTLE BIT MOIST AND I DO MEAN A LITTEL BIT.

5. CLEAN THE CPU AND THE HEAT SINK WITH A ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER THAT LEAVES NO RESIDUE.

6. TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THE CPU, AND THINK LOGICLY.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Scratching the HS or/and CPU is, from my point of view at least, a very bad option, because the thermal material, no matter wether it's pad or paste, will not reach the base of all scratces, so the thermal contact is not as effective as b4. even intel states that when cleaning the HS " do not sratch the surface".

BTW, how did you get the idea?

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lapping any heatsink is fine if you do it correctly. Could see as much as a -5C drop in temperature. Lapping a new CPU is NUTZ! Bye, bye warranty for a measly -3C? Not me!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
"even intel states that when cleaning the HS " do not sratch the surface"."

Yeah, that is exactly why I still have that bar code sticker on my P4. I fear if I scratch it, it will start giggeling.

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
OK
MR Nuke
Scratching the HS or/and CPU is, from my point of view at least, a very bad option, because the thermal material, no matter wether it's pad or paste, will not reach the base of all scratces, so the thermal contact is not as effective as b4. even intel states that when cleaning the HS " do not sratch the surface".

BTW, how did you get the idea?
As I wrote the surface was not scratched but it was lapped if u read all of the post u will see that i used fine sanding paper at the end and obtained a mirror finish.

Ahh i got the idea from a post that I read once this person was asking what material the Heat Spreder was made of, so i did a bit of research and found out that it was copper with a aluminium layer on top. Also I did some research last night and found this link that shows how someone else did it. And it came out like this as well, its so pretty now :) but no one can see.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles706/index.asp

cybercraig
Lapping any heatsink is fine if you do it correctly. Could see as much as a -5C drop in temperature. Lapping a new CPU is NUTZ! Bye, bye warranty for a measly -3C? Not me!
Yep i know about the warranty but that was void from the day i oc the chip. And yeah it was a bit nuts but that what overclockers do, things that are a bit nuts to push the chip. I tried my CPU out just before and she boots and is runnig now at 3.3gh @ 165fs and passed the pie test without a prob.So the lapping did help just more that drop in temps.
I swear that this chip is a freak. Now i wanna se how long it will last :)

Anyways happy overclocking.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
technicaly the warrantee is over when you oc, but how is any one gonna know if you dont do any hard mod.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the coating is tin. The reason I suspect it's tin is because tin is very soft and ideal for corrosion protection. Old fashioned "tin cans" were made out of tin-plated steel sheet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>