scantara_a

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
I have an old laptop that runs on a GT 930m, I wanted to repurpose it and solder on a new gpu that's better.
Any recommendations for a gpu to replace it with? (if you can provide a link, it'll be much appreciated)

Solution
and, I just did a bit more searching, and indeed a 960m is put in another model of the product (same specs and build, the only difference is the GPU) so is it possible for me to upgrade it by de soldering and soldering it?
Its quite a bit more involved than just "de soldering and soldering it "

p0N8tKY.png

And the BIOS in YOUR system still may not be compatible.

scantara_a

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
Not as simple as the physical replacement, which is not trivial.

The BIOS and motherboard also need to be compatible with some other GPU.
yea ... that's the main reason I'm asking this question. I work on PCs but not laptops personally so I do not know any gpu that can work with the bios and have a similar TDP

scantara_a

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
Unless the laptop was designed and built for this exchange, probably none.
it isn't, though, the same motherboard can come in different GPUs, some with 920ms and some with 960ms. So, can you give me a recommendation on what gpu to get with a similar amount of tdp? I've been looking and I'm unsure on what to pick

Last edited:

scantara_a

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
and, I just did a bit more searching, and indeed a 960m is put in another model of the product (same specs and build, the only difference is the GPU) so is it possible for me to upgrade it by de soldering and soldering it?

USAFRet

Titan
Its quite a bit more involved than just "de soldering and soldering it "

p0N8tKY.png

And the BIOS in YOUR system still may not be compatible.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable
Aside from the issue of soldering (which is a deal breaker for 99%), you also would have to reflash the vbios on the motherboard, which would require a special tool, and the correct vbios from one of those other laptops. Also, it would be easier to just source a better laptop than one of those other GPUs that may work but probably wouldn't.

scantara_a

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
Aside from the issue of soldering (which is a deal breaker for 99%), you also would have to reflash the vbios on the motherboard, which would require a special tool, and the correct vbios from one of those other laptops. Also, it would be easier to just source a better laptop than one of those other GPUs that may work but probably wouldn't.
Alright, thanks for the info!
I'll probably sell this one and get a better one considering a good one only costs about $800 - $900 dollars now, thanks for the help

Reactions: Remeca