Laptop Always Plugged In?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I have a Dell Latitude E6520 and I usually just use it at home all the time with a monitor so I sort of treat it like a desktop. But what happens when I leave the laptop always plugged in/connected to power? Will it damage the battery and in a worst case scenario, will it short circuit or damage my computer?

Laptop batteries are a bit of a mystery ... some last for eons others not so much ...

I maintain a bunch of laptops similar to yours. Most of them are plugged in virtually all the time for years with no ill effects. It's probably a good idea to use them on just battery for an hour or so every couple of months but ... we often forget and it's all good.

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
Laptop batteries are a bit of a mystery ... some last for eons others not so much ...

I maintain a bunch of laptops similar to yours. Most of them are plugged in virtually all the time for years with no ill effects. It's probably a good idea to use them on just battery for an hour or so every couple of months but ... we often forget and it's all good.

and it wouldn't be draining power all the time right? Like when I shut down my computer and leave it plugged in even when it's at 100%, it wouldn't "overcharge" nor draw tons of power and increase my power bill?

I leave a laptop plugged in connected to a monitor 24/7. It wont hurt anything, but i agree that using the batteries occasionally will maintain them. Batteries do very slowly drain over time so if the laptop will occasionally use power to charge the battery. Some laptops may use the power to keep they system timer ticking, but none of this is going to cause a noticeable increase in power draw. It wont overcharge or damage the laptop.

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I leave a laptop plugged in connected to a monitor 24/7. It wont hurt anything, but i agree that using the batteries occasionally will maintain them. Batteries do very slowly drain over time so if the laptop will occasionally use power to charge the battery. Some laptops may use the power to keep they system timer ticking, but none of this is going to cause a noticeable increase in power draw. It wont overcharge or damage the laptop.

K, thanks!

Just like people, batteries want to be exercised once in a while, other than that, don't obsess about it.

The only thing I recommend is, ur done for the day, unplug it. If u forget, meh.

Some machines allow you to set max charge, if available, I'd set it to 85%. I have no explanation for this one, just what I would do. Just remember to set it back to 100% if next day u gotta take it out. If this is too much, no big deal.

Last edited: