Question Laptop backup location ?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
My understanding is that the backup file should be stored on another hard disk that is different from the disk that you are making the backup from.

1. My Windows 10 laptop has only one hard disk (C drive), so where are you supposed to store your backup files?

2. Can I plug in a small USB flash disk thumb drive into a USB-A port permanently and store scheduled backup files on it?

Thanks

My understanding is that the backup file should be stored on another hard disk that is different from the disk that you are making the backup from.

1. My Windows 10 laptop has only one hard disk (C drive), so where are you supposed to store your backup files?

2. Can I plug in a small USB flash disk thumb drive into a USB-A port permanently and store scheduled backup files on it?

Thanks
1. External drive with fastest port your laptop has, USB or Thunderbolt-
2. True backup should be offline unless used to beck up or restore. Thumb drives are not as robust or long lasting as external SATA SSDs and often cheaper than thumb drives of larger capacity. If you find an enclosure with on-off switch you can keep it connected all the time.
You also have to choose a backup utility that can back up to external drive reliably. Macrium Reflect is one of those which also has protection for backup file. Also ca be set to back up automatically at set intervals as well as to to choose what to back up.