Laptop brand that lets you disable the battery through BIOS settings ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I want to buy a laptop that lets me disable the battery when I have it stationary and connected to an external monitor at home....and also lets me turn the battery on when I want to take out the laptop with me...

Are there any particular brands or models ? it should also meet the following requirements:

0) i5-8250U or i7-8550U
1) it should be easy to replace/install the laptop components...
2) RAM is upgradable to 16 GB
3) one M.2 + one SATA3 slots for SSD..
4) No Optimus

Solution

Yes since the chip is on the battery it's self.
No. I've never heard of this being a "feature" why would you even want to do that?

Normally if you plug it into the docking station it will recharge the battery then move over to docking station power directly and not drain from the battery. So if your concern is about over charging and reducing battery life. Nowadays that isnt much of an issue. Newer chips are way better then they use to be in the past.

With new tech, nowadays. No it shouldn't. Newer chipsets are getting smarter and smarter, we are at the point where it has very little effect on the battery due to smarter chips.

No. There is actually a chip on the battery that controls when it needs to be charged and monitors the decharge etc... the new chips are way more efficient and accurate when giving its results to the PC to tell it when to charge, decharge and stop charging etc...

It reduces the waste. Unlike older chips and tech it use to just continously charge the battery which would result in over charging or it would get to 100% and discharge and recharge between 99%-100% over and over further reducing battery life. The new chipsets resolve most of those issues.