Question Laptop can't connect to many websites (ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT) ?

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
I'm having a pretty weird problem. At some point and without having done anything different, my laptop just can't connect to certain websites (many websites, not just 3 or 4). When I try to access those sites I get the following errors:

Firefox: Secure Connection Failed (no error code)
Opera: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT
Chrome: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT
Edge: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT

Some info:
- The problem only happens when I am on Wi-Fi (on ethernet I can connect everywhere fine).
- The problem only happens when using my home Wi-Fi. I've connected to many other Wi-Fi's and everything works fine.
- Windows 11, Lenovo.
- Network adapter: Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adapter.
- I'm not using an extender or signal booster.

Things I've tried:
- Removing the laptop from the router manually (DIDN'T WORK)
- Restarting the router (DIDN'T WORK)
- Changing router (DIDN'T WORK)
- Several OS and browser settings (DIDN'T WORK)
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled network adapter drivers (DIDN'T WORK)

- Connecting via an external antenna (WORKED)
- Connecting via ethernet cable (WORKED)
- Connecting in other WiFi networks (WORKED)
- Connecting via VPN (WORKED)

So far I wasn't able to find any similarities of pattern between the several sites that I can't connect to. The only commonality is that I can't seem to connect to a good majority of greek sites.

Some of the sites that I can't connect to:

Last edited:
Do you have any pending Windows updates? Are you using any kind of app to enhance Wi-Fi connection? Using a Antivirus app? When using home Wi-Fi is set up as a private network or public network? When you use other WIFI same question.

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Do you have any pending Windows updates? Are you using any kind of app to enhance Wi-Fi connection? Using a Antivirus app? When using home Wi-Fi is set up as a private network or public network? When you use other WIFI same question.
- No pending windows updates.
- No app to enhance Wi-Fi.
- Of course I have AV but I've tried disabling it and nothing. Also, it's worth mentioning that there are many other devices (pc, laptop, android box) on the same network with no problems.
- Network is set to private. Again though, all the other devices have no problem.
- Other Wi-Fis that I've connected to I don't recall what were they set to, some public some private I think

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
I finally solved it. For some reason my router has changed its settings to broadcast on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I changed it back to 2.4GHz only and now laptop connects fine to the wifi