Laptop CPU in a desktop?

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
Ok so i just bought a pentium 4 3.2 northwood off ebay for 200$ canadian, my only concern is that i wont be able to use it in my desktop because it was pulled from a laptop, when i checked the intel site with its spec(SL6WG) the only thign different it seems to say is this after 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2 instead of just ppga. anyone have any experience with this?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are no "PPGA" processors. While PPGA is still used, it's called FC-PGA (Flip Chip-PGA) when the die sticks out of the top of the pin grid. FC-PGA has been around since the first Socket 370 PIII's. All Intel processors are now FC-PGA. FC-PGA2 refers to an FC-PGA processor with a heat spreader. ALL P4s are FC-PGA2. PIII's have been FC-PGA2 for several years. Celerons are FC-PGA2 and have been since the introduction of the Tualatin. The only mainstream processor Intel makes that isn't FC-PGA2 is the Pentium M. And even the Pentium M is FC-PGA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
wow, thats a lot of fc pga, so i guess all i really want to know is if it will work in my abit ic7 max3 the same an a normal desktop cpu would?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will work. Just as any normal desktop CPU would? That's hard to say. Most P4 laptops use desktop CPUs. If it's a desktop CPU from a laptop, it will work like a desktop CPU. If it's a P4-M, it will still work, but drop the multiplier to the lower one by default.

Does your IC7 allow you to adjust the multiplier?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>