[SOLVED] Laptop crashed when migrating data to new SSD

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
Hello,

I bought a new SSD(Samsung 860 Evo) for my laptop cause my HDD was causing it to crash from time to time. When I was migrating my data using Samsung's Data Migration tool, my laptop crashed when I tried to physically move it on to a different table. Now whenever I turn my laptop on with the SSD installed, I get stuck at the automatic repair loop. But when I remove the SSD, my laptop boots normally. I've tried the startup repair, the system restore and system image recovery and none of them worked. When I use command prompt, its able to detect both and they're online.

How do I access the SSD? Should I reformat it and try the data migration again? Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7559(i5 version). Sorry I'm a tech noob, hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
OK.
Windows Boot manager is exactly what it should be.
Booting from the HDD.

Put the SSD in, and check the boot order again.

Redo this migration thing.
It MUST finish completely.

USAFRet

Titan
The migration failed, due to the crash partway through.
Assuming the system still runs from the HDD, redo that migration.

It MUST complete fully.

Additionally, at the end of the migration process, the first thing you must to is power OFF, remove/disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to power up and run from only the new drive.

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
The migration failed, due to the crash partway through.
Assuming the system still runs from the HDD, redo that migration.

It MUST complete fully.

Additionally, at the end of the migration process, the first thing you must to is power OFF, remove/disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to power up and run from only the new drive.

Thanks for the response! The problem is, I can't get the laptop to boot when I have the new SSD installed. I get stuck at Windows automatic repair loop. Is there a way to bypass this? Or should I reformat the SSD first using the command prompt?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the response! The problem is, I can't get the laptop to boot when I have the new SSD installed. I get stuck at Windows automatic repair loop. Is there a way to bypass this? Or should I reformat the SSD first using the command prompt?
Remove the SSD.
Does it boot properly?

Verify the boot order...HDD first.

Then, reconnect the SSD and see what happens.

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
Remove the SSD.
Does it boot properly?

Verify the boot order...HDD first.

Then, reconnect the SSD and see what happens.
Yes, it boots normally with the SSD removed. How do I change the boot order?

In the UEFI I only see the options:
Windows Boot manager
NIC IPv4
NIC IPv6

I've tried the startup repair, the system restore and system image recovery and none of them worked. When I use command prompt, its able to detect both and they're online.
Use command prompt and perform diskpart clean on ssd.
Then boot from HDD and
repeat cloning.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
Check boot order, and make sure you are booting from your old HDD first.

Also please take care if you have to move a powered-up laptop with a mechanical HDD, especially one already flaky like that.

Thanks, I only move it when needed. But recently it sometimes crashes even when I'm typing.

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
Use command prompt and perform diskpart clean on ssd.
Then boot from HDD and
repeat cloning.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, and was able to clean the SSD, but when I restarted it still boots to Windows automatic repair. The SSD is listed as Disk 0, does that have to do with something?

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
OK.
Windows Boot manager is exactly what it should be.
Booting from the HDD.

Put the SSD in, and check the boot order again.

Redo this migration thing.
It MUST finish completely.
Thanks, I put the SSD back in, but still boots to Windows automatic repair. Only boots normally when I only have the HDD in there

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
If you cleaned the SSD as said, and it is still trying to boot from it....it is not fully clean.
A completely bare drive will have NO impact on the boot process.
I tried it again, I followed SkyNetRising's method. But still doesn't boot properly. Is there another way to clean the disk?

sago27

Commendable
Jun 15, 2021
Hey guys, I got it to finally to work. @USAFRet was right. The disk wasn't properly cleaned. I followed this, which adds a couple more steps to Skynetrising's instructions. Was able to boot it properly and completed the data migration. Laptop now working with the new SSD. Thanks for all the help guys!