Question Laptop eGPU code 43

Apr 26, 2020
Hello,

So here are some relevant specs:
Alienware 17 r2
intel i7-6700hq
iGPU: Nvidia GTX 970m
eGPU: Palit GTX 1080ti SJS via Alienware Graphics Amplifier

My setup usually runs at least 8-10hrs with light browsing + 2-4hrs gaming daily. One morning upon turning on my system, there has been no display from the GPU. It lights up and did its boot up routine but no display. Checked the device manager and saw that the display adapter for my GTX1080ti has some error. Then I tried updating the drivers but nothing happened afterwards. Tried doing a clean install of the drivers. DDU'ed the old drivers then installed the latest one. It worked for a bit but then it just hanged with a dark-blue screen for my output monitor(connected to the 1080ti gpu) and the as is display for my 2nd monitor(the laptop monitor). Since then I am stuck with code 43 in the display manager. The 1080ti can still be detected though.

So what I did so far:
  1. DDU'ed into previous driver versions that I have already downloaded.
  2. Tried the GPU in another rig and it displayed no output. We failed to observe anything since my friend has a ryzen cpu(no integrated graphics) and a mobo with only 1 gpu slot.
  3. Tried updating my laptop's bios and graphics amplifier's version.
  4. Clean and repasted the gpu.
  5. Ran diagnostics. Gave me: PCIe - Training error and PCI tag-0200 VendorID-10De...: Link Degraded, maxWidth x8, negWidth x4, slot 2
  6. Ran alienware support and updated the drivers.
  7. Tried installing Geforce experience. It is unable to detect the driver/GPU. It says that it is unable to download the recommended driver.
  8. Somewhere between the steps above, did something with the registry on nvlddmkm
  9. Noticed in the GPU-Z, the bios version, clock speed, and default clock are unknown or 0 in value and some of the check boxes are unchecked. Tried flashing the bios but every reboot reverts the values before flashing.
  10. I think this is relevant: One iteration when flashing, I booted to safemode, then DDU'ed the drivers then flashed before rebooting. Noticed in the GPU-Z after rebooting and while the drivers are not yet installed, it has values. After installing the drivers, I was back at square 1.

I bought the card second hand so I can't RMA it. First user used it for about a year and I've been using it for almost 2years now. Also noting that I've been using the card with the generic psu the graphics amplifier has. I was planning to upgrade the psu after buying the 1080ti but haven't got the chance.

So if anyone can provide me insights on how I may fix this, that would be great! Other than that, I am giving up on this card.

Noticed in the GPU-Z, the bios version, clock speed, and default clock are unknown or 0 in value and some of the check boxes are unchecked. Tried flashing the bios but every reboot reverts the values before flashing.
You indeed have a faulty card. It seems that it might be fixable by vBIOS flashing but it might be a few other things too (faulty card components). The fact that it gets detected by GPU-Z implies you have a good Core and a few power phases are still in working order... Send it to a tech unless you are a tech yourself :)

Apr 26, 2020
I tried flashing the gpu bios but it does not seem to work. I have a fair knowledge for hardwares especially microcontrollers but this is way beyond my capabilities as of now. I inspected the board itself while repasting and it looks fine. The capacitors are still intact. No burn marks on the board. The board is just a bit dusty though.

Anyways, I might bring this to a proper tech after this pandemic is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: vov4ik_il