Question Laptop fan started making a buzzing noise : what can provoke it (audio linked in the post)

Jun 8, 2023
Hi everyone, don't know if it's the right place to ask this question but I've had this Lenovo legion 5 for 2 years and the left fan (above the GPU but I don't think that matters since the fans are linked by the heat sink and are on/off at the same time) started recently making a subtle buzzing noise that the right one is not doing.

Here is a vocaroo of the noise, put the volume to maximum in order to hear it : https://voca.ro/1n31xjliFR0r

Please note that the volume of the noise stays constant no matter how the RPM are high, but it goes away completely when the fan is off.

So I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of what can cause this sound. I thought about faulty fan bearing but wouldn't be 2 years very early for the bearing to start dying ? I also thought about the fan wiggling and hitting it's case but it should probably make more noise, and the noise should probably increase when the fan goes faster ? Anyway, let me know what you think it can be, and if I should worry and/or if I can do something about it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, don't know if it's the right place to ask this question but I've had this Lenovo legion 5 for 2 years and the left fan (above the GPU but I don't think that matters since the fans are linked by the heat sink and are on/off at the same time) started recently making a subtle buzzing noise that the right one is not doing.

Here is a vocaroo of the noise, put the volume to maximum in order to hear it : https://voca.ro/1n31xjliFR0r

Please note that the volume of the noise stays constant no matter how the RPM are high, but it goes away completely when the fan is off.

So I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of what can cause this sound. I thought about faulty fan bearing but wouldn't be 2 years very early for the bearing to start dying ? I also thought about the fan wiggling and hitting it's case but it should probably make more noise, and the noise should probably increase when the fan goes faster ? Anyway, let me know what you think it can be, and if I should worry and/or if I can do something about it.

Thanks in advance!
It sounds like a failing fan.
Yes, two years is a short time, but there are many factors that could contribute to its early failure.
Also it could have been a bad fan from the beginning.
I had fans that died within weeks and months.