laptop gpu failure overheating tried everything

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I have Toshiba Qosmio x505-q870 running windows 7 intel i7 Nvidia GeForce GTS360m GPU. The possessor runs fine fan works great and speed is in from what I understand good operating speed at around 2000rpm I not only used compressed air to clean I took completely apart and cleaned everything like new also took apart again and cleaned off old thermal paste and reapplied with Increased thermal conductivity 99.9% pure silver high performance thermal compound the very best I could get. It is better I suppose however when I watch a video it gets up to 172F and motherboard gets a little hotter but never above 152F. I have tried different power supplies to rule that out and battery is original and still holds 100% charge and works great. I also did a complete factory restore twice and updated all drivers. This laptop is desktop bound not used for mobility. It is does have a few years on it obviously but maintained above average and cleaned regularly. I just did all this work to is today and haven't used this PC in over a year but it was stored in dry temp controlled area but anyway yesterday it restarted a couple times before I figured out it was GPU problem and anytime I would watch a video it would shut down and restart the last few times I watched temp to evaluate and it reached over 200F. I included all this info to save time with the simple clean because dust isn't an issue at all and don't believe it ever was really but I'd be happy for any ideas if its salvageable or not. I also used the torque pattern and used just enough paste. Thanks.

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Sorry just got home but yes it overheats anytime I watch a video or do much of anything other the browse the web on battery power on the power supply (Power Cord) it overheats if I even open the browser sometimes just sitting there pretty much the PC is absolutely useless right now due to the GPU overheating I've tried just about everything I am gonna return the brand new OEM power cord and try a new one

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Thank you for taking your time to respond I really appreciate it. I don't believe that is the issue because it overheats on battery power as well plus battery power will be at 50% or so and it will still overheat but again I defiantly appreciate the input I'm open to all suggestions. I believe its either a software issue because after the last factory restore it shutdown a couple times while configuring settings probably because it takes a ridiculously long time about 2hrs but now its even worse. It will go from 140F to 180F in seconds of doing anything or using the power cord and when the GPU gets got the Motherboard will get hot to and honestly it seems to shutdown before the temp gets hot sometimes but when the temp does get hot now the display just shuts off and I have to use power button to turn off and restart the display comes back on.

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I want to download Windows 10 as its still free for people who need assistance. I don't need assistance and don't really want Windows 10 but I seen in some PC magazine that its still available and they don't check because they don't really care as they want people to use W-10 but I figure if I can get a key for W-10 I can download a bootable ISO wipe HD and do a clean install of just the OS and see if that fixes my issue seeing how if its corrupted software that should solve my issue I would thing although I don't know much about the BIOS and it could be in there but anyway I suppose if that didn't work I'd know it was a lost cause however I cant figure out how to download the windows 10 and get the key since the PC is unusable. I have also thought of using a torrent site to download a copy of Windows 7 but I don't know much about them and I'm scared but I do have a key. Unfortunately Microsoft wont allow downloadable copies of manufacture installed W-7 OS which is a pretty crappy move in my opinion. I'd spend the $30 for the Toshiba discs if I knew that would solve my issue and honestly if either W-10 or W-7 works I will do anyway but like I said I want to make sure its worth it because I have my doubts.

If it is being overcharged the battery will be overheat while its charging as the it is receiving more power than the components can handle. While it is on battery it won't have this issue. But if the battery is old then it can overheat easily as it is worn out.

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Thank you that makes sense the battery is the original so it's definitely got some age on it I didn't think to take battery out while on the power cord but I definitely will this evening when I get home and I'll report back luckily I didn't wipe HD yet

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I tried running without batter still acts up monitor cuts off and I have to unplug. I noticed on my performance monitor that the disc usage goes up and down from 0-100% every other second constantly up and down it's ridiculous and I can't do anything with it. I don't remember this issue before so its possible this is a new symptom but not sure however as of now it's completely unstable as I said the last factory restore it shutdown a few times during configuration. I'd like to find out without spending more then it's worth to fix. If I new it was software related I'd buy the discs and do that but not sure it's worth the money

toshibagpu

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Yeah I believe your right and I believe its all my fault. I was doing a factory restore when I pulled it out of storage and it was taking forever almost 2hrs so I looked up so info and every statement I seen said there was a problem and to power down and retry well I did like an idiot I know now but when I did it again it took about 2hrs but I let it go and it completed but that's where the problem started. since then I have tried over and over to do a factory restore and it does but shuts down in the process. I am now gonna open another can of worms as stupid as it may be I'm gonna try using a OS disc that came with a Dell PC... I know its probably not gonna work but I don't know what else to do but I'm gonna try it on a brand new HD. If by some chance it works or solves one problem I will order the factory OEM discs and restore it but don't want to but the discs if the Motherboard or Graphics board is shot