Question Laptop is locked down

thunter78

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Hi all,

I bought my son a gaming PC for Christmas last year. Recently he complained about it taking forever to login and apps not working. After a 3-5 minute load screen after entering the password, I was able to see the desktop. The PC's security tab is disabled, my antivirus app will not open, even internet browsers fail to maintain connection to any website. I did see in his downloads folder 20+ random programs he's downloaded, so im almost certain its a virus.

The laptop is an Acer nitro 5, windows 11 home operating system.

First I tried a system restore, however it wont let me open any apps or folders. I've tried the command prompt as well, after entering the commands nothing happens. I tried to reset the PC as well but ran into the same issues. All of the above failed in safe mode too - it gave me a message to contact the IT admin after trying to open the security center.

My last try was to boot from a USB and do a new install of windows. However, when I try this no hard drive is detected.. so I cant reinstall windows.

Im at a loss and cant afford to take it to the shop at the moment. Any other suggestions for t his one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.