Laptop key repeating

Alan133

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hi there, I have a asus laptop. One time I left it on at home when I left the house for work. I have difficulty typing so please bear with me.

When I returned I found out my laptop blacked out and couldn't bring it up. I forced restarted it and found out my laptop keyboard stopped working. I plugged in a usb keyboard and found out the following, somehow something is sending the num lock "3" signal to my machine. I tested this by using turning off the numlock and it keeps sending the "page down" signal (and i could"t stop it)

I wanted to disable my laptop keyboard from device manager but it just reinstalls as soon as I restarted (which is required to complete the uninstall) The weird thing is, I disconnected the laptop keyboard (disconnected the bus underneath) but it still sends the same signal!! (it"s always numpad 3)

I was in the process of trying to uninstall the keyboard driver for good but fear that it wouldn't fix it even if I did it. Do any of you have any idea what could be the problem? Or the motherboard went crazy and I need to replace it? I checked the bios and couldnt find the control to uninstall it to.

Solution
Hey, consider me as a 'wild guesser' . Since an expert hasnt replied yet, I am making my guess.
I just searched about laptop keyboards and found that they dont have inbuilt ic chips on them like the desktop keyboard. Thats why they have more terminals connector.
So, A wild guess from the electronics troubleshooting would be that the terminal that connects to the num3 key is shorted.
Check closely, if there is some small particle stuck on the female connector of keyboard terminals where it is soldered. I don't know if you will be able to view the terminals or not but you can check.

karan28

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hey, consider me as a 'wild guesser' . Since an expert hasnt replied yet, I am making my guess.
I just searched about laptop keyboards and found that they dont have inbuilt ic chips on them like the desktop keyboard. Thats why they have more terminals connector.
So, A wild guess from the electronics troubleshooting would be that the terminal that connects to the num3 key is shorted.
Check closely, if there is some small particle stuck on the female connector of keyboard terminals where it is soldered. I don't know if you will be able to view the terminals or not but you can check.

Solution