Question Laptop monitor glitching because of the refresh rate(?)

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
I already made a thread about it but no one helped, this is about my ASUS Tuf Gaming fx505dv laptop glitching like every turn on my screen it goes glitch. After some research i found something interesting i was using external monitor to see if the display still works using other monitor, and yeah my external monitor works normally while the laptop's still glitching. After that i tried changing the refresh rate of my laptop's display from 120hz to 48hz and suddenly my laptop's display works normally its weird after i unplug the HDMI it goes glitched again even my laptop's run at 48hz.

My conclusion is Laptop's display goes normal only with plugged external monitor and run at 48hz
Here's my other post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/glitch-and-flickering-display-on-laptop.3584803/

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
could be a driver issue.
Use DDU to uninstall graphics drivers, then do a clean install of drivers again.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Do i have to uninstall both of my gpu or not, because if i uninstall my nvidia gpu which is connected to external monitor im afraid that my external monitor will have a blackscreen but if its the amd only i'll try it. And btw the glitching start even at the bios setting and at asus logo.

Update: I was reinstalling my amd using DDU still doesn't work, so it's the hardware?

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you uninstall drivers, Windows will revert to using basic drivers for basic video output until you replace them with custom drivers.

you can disconnect the video cable from your laptop to the external monitor if you want, but kind of makes no difference.

and yes, uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers using DDU.

You have more than AMD graphics in your system btw.
The AMD graphics are integrated into the CPU I believe and the Nvidia graphics are your dedicated graphics for things like games and stuff that need heavy graphics usage, and the two drivers can conflict with each other.

So you should remove drivers for both, then install AMD drivers from laptop support page on the manufacturer website, and install Nvidia drivers by downloading them from Nvidia website

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
if you uninstall drivers, Windows will revert to using basic drivers for basic video output until you replace them with custom drivers.

you can disconnect the video cable from your laptop to the external monitor if you want, but kind of makes no difference.

and yes, uninstall both AMD and Nvidia drivers using DDU.

You have more than AMD graphics in your system btw.
The AMD graphics are integrated into the CPU I believe and the Nvidia graphics are your dedicated graphics for things like games and stuff that need heavy graphics usage, and the two drivers can conflict with each other.

So you should remove drivers for both, then install AMD drivers from laptop support page on the manufacturer website, and install Nvidia drivers by downloading them from Nvidia website
Sorry for not replying, when my screen goes normally and i let my laptop turn on for a week and i dont wanna turn off the screen cuz it will glitching again but my laptop goes bluescreen so i restart my laptop and it glitched again and here i am dont know what to do anymore.

I have reinstalled both amd and nvidia gpu but no fix at all, i really want to reinstall my windows os but as i tell you the glitches start even on the asus logo and bios, it still wont work using external monitor on bios it just blank screen

And im still confused, do you think reinstalling os would fix the problem?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
sorry for the late reply.
unfortunately your issues are most likely hardware related and I would urge you to take advantage of your warranty if you still have one.

Otherwise, depending on how much it would cost for a repair shop to diagnose and fix the issue, either go with that option, or get a new laptop.

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
sorry for the late reply.
unfortunately your issues are most likely hardware related and I would urge you to take advantage of your warranty if you still have one.

Otherwise, depending on how much it would cost for a repair shop to diagnose and fix the issue, either go with that option, or get a new laptop.
Hi sorry for late reply, i haven't touch my laptop for a month and today it took 0.5-1 hour to fix the glitches instead of 5-6 hours but it still has the transparent bar like burn in screen and has a burn in chrome tabs from last month i think on the top of the screen which is the screen not 100% fixed even i waited to clear out the glitches and nearly still the same as from the last month, glitches still comes up even on asus logo.

I really want to take it to repair shop but my country still in quarantine and unfortunately the warranty is expired.