[SOLVED] Laptop Not Booting

LazyBonez23

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Hi there,

I have a laptop (link to specs below) that I told a family friend I'd take a look at for him. He told me the problem is the charging port. I can tell the port is fine since the charge light comes on when I plug it in. When I try to boot, nothing happens. No hard drive spinning, no CPU fan and nothing on the screen. I did notice that there is only 1GB of RAM in this machine which really doesn't seem right since the datasheet on Acer's website for this model says it comes standard with 4GB RAM and that it has 64buit windows 7 which wouldn't be possible with 1GB RAM. I haven't asked him if he has changed RAM or anything yet. My question is, is the too little ram at fault or is it the motherboard since there is not even a boot screen where I should be able to access the BIOS. I hope you guys can help!

Thanks

https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2012/4876/7739G/LX.RULEA.001.html

Solution
Windows 7 64 bit requires 2 GB RAM. Saying this, that would not stop the laptop POST. I would first check the AC adapter is working and has sufficient voltage (19V). If so, try a cold boot, meaning remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then reattach the AC adapter and see if it boots.
Windows 7 64 bit requires 2 GB RAM. Saying this, that would not stop the laptop POST. I would first check the AC adapter is working and has sufficient voltage (19V). If so, try a cold boot, meaning remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then reattach the AC adapter and see if it boots.

Solution
if above fails remove the last ram stick and try to boot, you should get error beep sounds or error lights.
Inspect that charging port looks fine from the outside and that usb ports are not shorted on the laptop.
If you see nothing odd and get light with and without battery attached you need to inspect more. Remove battery and power cord then press 10-20sec power button to discharge.
Find a disassembly video of your laptop or close to it, and start disassemblying slowly without breaking anything. Look closely for liquid damage on the motherboard or ports, if the charging port is removable ( not soldered to motherboard) check that its fine.

You can do testing if some part is shorted, like removing the monitor connector from the motherboard and then booting it up ( be really careful you dont make a new short by leaving loose connectors touch the motherboard when testing with power cable)